wood light + video projections

micrem73

Hi all,

I'm thinking around a show idea, I have no possibility to test so I'd like to know if anyone has tried something similar.

Basically, I'd like to use Wood light and VideoPorojections together. I imagine a black light wash that make audience see just gloves and shoes. And videoprojection that project a white circle on the face to show it, and a body made of strings on the actor body. Moreover, I'd like to project over wings some videos.

My question is: are the two kind of light somehow compatible? Does the light coming from the videoprojector somehow disturb or interfere with the wood light, that i know should be used in completely dark situations?? And, what happens to projections when lit from black light? Does white videos shine as white objects does?

regards

michele

Whatever light is more powerful will win out. I imagine that the light that comes from the projector would not make it able for the audience to see just gloves and shoes. When the projector is shooting out a black screen, it still projects enough light that it would make the actors within the projection area illuminated.

In this sense are you using the term wood light to be a UV light fixture? Just asking as I've never heard the term and google is pointing me towards medical lights.

Whatever light is more powerful will win out. I imagine that the light that comes from the projector would not make it able for the audience to see just gloves and shoes. When the projector is shooting out a black screen, it still projects enough light that it would make the actors within the projection area illuminated.

In this sense are you using the term wood light to be a UV light fixture? Just asking as I've never heard the term and google is pointing me towards medical lights.

Also, the white that you are projecting would not shine as a white object under UV light will. When projecting white light, you are projecting every wavelength of visible light which will over power your UV light. This is why UV light really only works when it is the only source of light.

This is why UV light really only works when it is the only source of light.

Hi dear, thanks for your answer.
By Wood light yes, I mean UV light. Sorry for the confusion, was a literal translation from Wood Lamp that's the usual term here in Italy to refer to this.

About your answer, I can imagine that black light from projector is anyhow <i>some</i> light and this will influence somehow. For sure i can operate on projector brightness and contrast to minimize the luminosity of the light coming from the beamer. My question is about the meaning of your "UV light really only works when it is the only source of light". Let's go deeper on that "only works". Do you mean:
- actors shilouette will be seen due to beamer black light, so the effect to show white things only won't be exactly the one you'd have with UV light only

or

- white objects fluorescence given by UV light won't work anymore, as black light coming from the projector will lower UV light effect.

Which one of the two?
thanks

michele

UV effects work because the object being lit reflects the light that is not visible at a frequency that is visible. If the same object is reflecting visible light then any light fluoresced by the object is easily overpowered.

sk8rsdad explained why the UV won't work pretty well.

If you are able to get your projector to be on and not ruin this effect, I would be pretty surprised. Every time I've dealt with projectors in low light conditions the 'screen' being projected was painfully and immediately a problem, however in a large enough space it might be possible.

Best of luck on this one.

@TheaterEd, I believe by "screen", you mean raster (the projected area). Something to consider is the type of lamp being used in the projector. The light from a metal halide will differ from Xenon or a solid state (and solid state hybrid) source. The greater your contrast ratio, the better effect you will get. Remember that the extrememly high contrast ratios are generally obtained by greatly diminishing the upper output of the projector, thus increasing the ratio between light and dark. To top this off, the human eye will adjust to the brightest image, so the projected light will likely make the audience not see the UV effect.

Will the performers be wearing masks or not? Having them with a mask could allow for a more predictable projection surface.

That's the joy of the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back