WOPR Prop Advice

Fxguy

Hey Everyone,
I am in need of building a replica of the War Games Super Computer, the WOPR, for a children's ministry show at the end of Sept. I purchased a bunch a 1 x 4 to build the frame, and was planning on covering it with cardboard due to cost issues. Does anyone know of any way to paint the cardboard to make it look like metal / steel?
For the computer lights section I cut pegboard to size, painted it with Krylon's Hammered Metal Spray paint and inserted Christmas lights through the holes in the pegboard. When running the lights in chase mode it looks very nice.
At the end of the show the whole thing has to malfunction, which we plan on accomplishing with a hand held flint flasher effect combined with a flash pot effect. If only I can get the thing to look halfway decent....

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tim

I hate to be the guy to turn this into a thread about the reason you shouldn't do what you're trying to do, but using even minor pyro effects with cardboard scenery is a terrible idea. Even using Christmas lights is questionable.

To do the pyro you're going to need to hire a professional pyro technician to design the effect, consult on the scenic unit, and deal with permitting through your local AHJ.

If you drop the pyro, in terms of making your thing, cardboard isn't the easiest material to make look good, but can be done. I usually do a base coat in a steel grey color and a top coat with a metallic paint. Although it seems that the original WOPR isn't particularly metallic, just a semi-gloss grey. The bigger trick is getting your surface really smooth.

I understand the concern with cardboard scenery and pyro effects. We are trying to take every precaution possible and this has included contacting and getting approval of the fire marshal as well as having two licensed fireman standing in the wings with extinguishers ready. The flint flasher is more of a sparks effect and is handheld and designed for a magic show style flash from the finger tips. The flash pot is being used for a smoke effect and is more of what concerns me.

Aside from the pyro, I know that cardboard is a pain in the rear. Trying to get it really really smooth is key. I purchased a gallon of gloss grey / green color which is close to the original, but unfortunately I'm at the mercy of budgets that won't allow for much more. At least I can recycle the lumber when I'm finished. Trying to start a scenery / props shop for our church from scratch is taxing on the budget. Eventually it will be nice to have enough to start recycling through things when the time comes for a new prop. Our set is going to have to be designed to be portable (i.e. we can set it up on the stage for a week prior to the Children's service, but then have to strike it after service that day. We're planning on 4 services a year (once a quarter) so in will have to go in storage in the mean time.

But thats for another thread... :)

Tim

Foam core instead of cardboard?

Much smoother, very cheap, easy to paint, doesn't get beat up as easily.

Oh, also, try a can of metallic silver spray paint, with maybe a light, uneven coat of white on top for a chromey look.

Sounds like you took the proper steps re: pyro. Good on 'ya.

At around $13 a sheet, I would chose masonite over foamcore. Cheaper, can bend (though maybe not as tightly as you'd need for WOPR) and easier to work with carpentry techniques. I assume the cardboard decision is because it's free, or very close to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back