WordClock Building Bridge Dropout

MRW Lights

Looking for some insight into a wordclock issue -

I have two Focusrite Rednets connected via fiber between two buildings and we're trying to have them wordclock sync a dante/madi network on each end. The issue is intermittent, non repeatable and unpredictable, but we get a drop out of approximately 5 seconds of all signal. As if we were getting a network collision refresh. We lose all audio for roughly 5 seconds and then it immediately comes back. Signal is only lost in the bridge between Rednets, but not locally at either end. The connection is direct fiber between the rednets. I have a GPS master clock at one end and I can see the word clock signal on a scope at the other end, but when I hook it up to a Yamaha CL5 it doesn't sync. The yamaha does sync to an external source, but we seem to be losing a part of the signal in the rednet bridge somehwere... if you can think of it we've tried it, but please ask again to double check and then let's see what we're not thinking of...

Check the peak to peal voltage of the GPS clock signal against the Rednet clock input specs. There might an incompatibility there. Are both clock output and input connectors the same type? If not, you might need a balun or active converter. Does the Yamaha like the clock when connected to the GPS unit?

Can you switch one end of the Rednets to internal clock and see if it works?

Last edited:
Check the peak to peal voltage of the GPS clock signal against the Rednet clock input specs. There might an incompatibility there. Are both clock output and input connectors the same type? If not, you might need a balun or active converter. Does the Yamaha like the clock when connected to the GPS unit?

Can you switch one end of the Rednets to internal clock and see if it works?

voltage is our next check to confirm that we’re losing something in the signal, because it looks good on the scope, but yes the suspicion is voltage drop.

The gps and the Yamaha are in separate buildings, but the same model console takes jam in the building with the gps clock.

the rednet in an internal clock or sourcing the Yamaha locally as a master clock within that local Dante network passes fine.

all great ideas.... hoping to get a voltage test with our bench tech next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back