Work light solutions

Jon Majors

Looking for some alternative to a halogen scoop lights to use as stage work lights. I saw in another thread someone used a 100W LED flood light. They have a cool (temperature) look and, while bright, they don't dim to 0%. If someone has a solution for that, I'd appreciate it. I've attached a picture of what I bought from Amazon.

Anyway, work lights that I can plug into a dimmer, and dim to 0% are what I'm looking for. Something LED, and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks, all!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.39.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.39.52 PM.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 268
There is another post here that talks about different LED work-light solutions, I will see if I can find it, if you use the search function in the upper right, you might find alot more info...hopefully someone else will find the link before I can...

On a side note, I purchased something similar to use in our space, and I run them thru our rack/Unison system, they do not really dim, but they go out and do not flicker, just bump on/off....

As far as I know, it cannot be blurred with dimmers, it will blink by time interval or worse than inactive, perhaps needing a light compensation module.

Looking for some alternative to a halogen scoop lights to use as stage work lights. I saw in another thread someone used a 100W LED flood light. They have a cool (temperature) look and, while bright, they don't dim to 0%. If someone has a solution for that, I'd appreciate it. I've attached a picture of what I bought from Amazon.

Anyway, work lights that I can plug into a dimmer, and dim to 0% are what I'm looking for. Something LED, and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks, all!

I admit to being biased here, but take a look at the OSRAM KREIOS FLX 90W LED fixture. It was designed with replacing scoops (and other work lights) in mind. Indoor and outdoor rated, dims on most ETC dimmers really well, and comes with a gel frame in case you want to use it backstage as a running light or a wash light.

Warm white (3500K) and 92 CRI.

https://www.osram.us/pia/products/led/p001_pia_product_detail_23.jsp

No word yet from the OP on the reason for dimming, but an alternative to dimming your worklights if you need bright and dim would be to use 6-8 cheap 100w lights and another circuit with cheap 20w worklights only in the wings.

Thanks, all!
Hi,

I have troubleshooting Dimming LED lights... I found the most LED work/wash lighting from Amazon/China do not dim.
I did find an LED dimmer from Chauvet that will dim them without flicker. Be aware, it could damage the LEDs, thats what people say.
I did test it all day at my shop, and it worked great...

How about a bunch of mini work lights? The way to "dim" them is to only turn on 1 of them and turn off all the others. :)

I admit to being biased here, but take a look at the OSRAM KREIOS FLX 90W LED fixture. It was designed with replacing scoops (and other work lights) in mind. Indoor and outdoor rated, dims on most ETC dimmers really well, and comes with a gel frame in case you want to use it backstage as a running light or a wash light.
Our stage work light situation is terrible and its something I've been trying to work on, do you guys do demos of the Kreios fixture, I know people who swear by them but I still haven't seen one in person, do they come with edison standard for the plugs? Just out of curiosity. I'm tired dark corners and my handful of makeshift LED's from home depot and need to focus on real solutions.

Just saying, sure wish the FLX90 had DMX in and through and a relay. No dimming necessary but to save on wiring infrastructure. Adding a CS relay is $250-300. I bet it could've built in for much less.

Just saying, sure wish the FLX90 had DMX in and through and a relay. No dimming necessary but to save on wiring infrastructure. Adding a CS relay is $250-300. I bet it could've built in for much less.
@DELO72 While we're wishing and hoping; let's go for two models: One with DMX in, through and a relay PLUS a deluxe model that includes a dimmer.
Dreams are cheap; go big or go home.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Our stage work light situation is terrible and its something I've been trying to work on, do you guys do demos of the Kreios fixture, I know people who swear by them but I still haven't seen one in person, do they come with edison standard for the plugs? Just out of curiosity. I'm tired dark corners and my handful of makeshift LED's from home depot and need to focus on real solutions.

I've demo'd them and seen several spaces where they were fully installed. They generally come without a connector.

Getting a demo unit via a dealer shouldn't be a problem, call someone. My main surprise is just how wide a field they throw. Nothing like a beam, its a vast and somewhat glarey dump of light. Barn doors really help!

I've demo'd them and seen several spaces where they were fully installed. They generally come without a connector.

Getting a demo unit via a dealer shouldn't be a problem, call someone. My main surprise is just how wide a field they throw. Nothing like a beam, its a vast and somewhat glarey dump of light. Barn doors really help!
@josh88 and @RickR Up here in Canada, North of Donald's walls, Home Depot has had the Kreios FLX90's on the shelf next to yard lights, the types of fixtures we often install above our garage doors to light our driveways. They were there to see and touch although they weren't flying off the shelves as quickly as the 500 Watt fixtures next to them. IF Home Depot stocks them on your side of the walls, their buying power MAY offer lower prices.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back