Workbox lighting

Neon Ninja

Hi everyone!
Looking at purchasing some dimmable led work lights for some road boxes. Any help would be great and I do not want led tape that just sticks and is crappy. Thank you!!

Are you talking empty cases? or something with a rack built in already? If it is the latter, there would already be a ton of rack mounted options from any number of suppliers.

I assume road boxes, not racks? There is so much. I spend my time on drivers because of dimming performance but probably a low priority for your use. Not sure you can go too far wrong. I'd look for "led aluminum" on Amazon and see if that doesn't return a lot of options. I'd say route a slot and put in tape but seems you like a lens. Makes sense.

I assume road boxes, not racks? There is so much. I spend my time on drivers because of dimming performance but probably a low priority for your use. Not sure you can go too far wrong. I'd look for "led aluminum" on Amazon and see if that doesn't return a lot of options. I'd say route a slot and put in tape but seems you like a lens. Makes sense.
Reason I asked is because we've got a whole bunch of road boxes custom built for various video/audio mixing rigs we have so they are self contained units. There are also a ton of plastic/metal trough options that you can attach the trough permanently, you put the tape in that and then there is a diffuser on it to protect/keep tape in place.

I understand why you wouldn't want to go with just LED tape, but you might look at some of the channel and diffuser systems made to go with tape. You can screw or bolt the channel in place and tape sticks really well to the extruded aluminum channel. Worst case if it does come off it's still contained by the diffuser and out of your way while you're working. The small profile cuts down on wasted space and still looks sharp if you take a little time to do it right. They're usually sold together in reasonable lengths, and are easily cut to size with normal tools. If I was building a road box again I might consider something like this 45 degree profile. Buying online and paying to ship one stick to NY is probably not the best choice, but if you could find something similar locally it might make for a really nice solution.

EDIT: I stand corrected 8' of 45 degree profile with frosted lens and three sets of endcaps shipped to most places in the US for $46. That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
The LED tape doesn't stick worth crap. But if you spritz it with Spray 77 after peeling off the backing strip it will stick forever. I went with the SuperNight brand that you can buy off Amazon. That is what I used in my workbox and it is still stuck on strong after many years on the road.

Check Ikea. I have some of their undercabinet LED strips that I'm about to put in my workbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back