Working Cannon Completed

Hello Everyone,
I just completed a working cannon for a performance of The Nutcracker. BY working I mean that it shoots low-density foam balls.

This is the firing mechanism. A piston slides back in forth and is "sprung" with the bungee cord you can see at the bottom of the photo. There is a drawcord that attached to the eyelet that gets pulled back to set the firing piston, it is heald the ready position by a bead on the cord that fits through a hole and slot. This triggering area can be seen in the second photo.

I am very well pleased with the mechanism and have all sorts of ideas for how to use it in other special effects that require launching doo dads into the air.

Photo 3 are the foam balls. These balls do not fly well or far but they are very safe which is a top priority. I used similar balls in an air cannon for a big finale scene in High School Musical. In this configuration they fly 8 - 10 feet, if I compressed the ball in a smaller tube the piston strike would be able to launch it further.

Photo 4 is the completed cannon.

I look forward to your thoughts and any suggestions for improvements!

Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

Fun!

Reminds me a of field artillery "cannon" for Brecht's Puntilla. They machined a block of aluminum to hold 5 shotgun shells with wadding, and 5 firing pins, and the actor struck them with a hammer (actor was upstage and cannon straight to audience so hammer not seen.) Only Tom Skelton and I were at rehearsal desk for tech,and we both slowly ducked down behind rehearsal desk. Bang! - and about 2-3 seconds later a styrofoam cup and some other debris blew off the rehearsal desk. Fun times.

That's a funny story Bill. I have also been working on some piston valve vortex cannons (think high powered airzooka) to do exactly what you describe. Safely shoot a tight torus (smoke ring) into the audience.

If you find the center of your sphere and plunge a ball bearing in there and seal it up it should shoot a bit farther without injuring someone.

A giant golf ball comes to mind as far as design. If you were looking to shoot the moon.

Very cool!

That's a funny story Bill. I have also been working on some piston valve vortex cannons (think high powered airzooka) to do exactly what you describe. Safely shoot a tight torus (smoke ring) into the audience.

Several years ago, I was working on a marching band show that was circus-themed. We built a vortex air cannon out of a 10' piece of 24" diameter Sonotube. If the wind was co-operating, we could shoot a smoke ring from the end zone to the 50yd line!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back