Job Announcment Working For Cruise Ship. Any Advice?

Hey everyone, been a while since I have been on here. I recently got a job with Carnival Cruise Line. I join the ship June 17th. I was curious if anybody had any advice or anything for me. Ive never been on a ship before. I heard the food is iffy. I've read some other forums on what people have said. Is there anything crazy to expect on day one? or anything crazy at all? Any surprises you have ran into?
Thanks,
Jake

Maybe you should expand on what job it is you're doing?

It's fair to say, congratulations - the cruise lines don't employ idiots. There's not enough people on board to have people along for the ride, so the fact you're there at all means you are ready for it. (So don't let anyone with an agenda try to convince you otherwise!).

In any position, remember that the entire cruise industry's number 1 priority is customer service and satisfaction. Everything else comes second. Like - especially in the case of lower ranks - if a passenger makes a complaint about you, there's a good chance you'll be in line for a plane ticket home pretty soon. Your side of the story is not particularly relevant or even desired. So don't give them any opportunity to penalise you... there is a long line of people waiting to take your gig so it sadly is one of those gigs where it's fairly easy to be fired. So you know, the obvious - turn up in the correct uniform, turn up on time, don't turn up still pissed from the night before, try to get on with your colleagues, treat equipment as you would if it belonged to you, that sort of thing.

Also rule number 1: never ever ever ever go intimate with a passenger. Even if she is an absolute goddess in her swimsuit and in the bedroom, even if she is 6 leagues above anything you could bag at home, even if she is like front-cover-of-playboy material, victoria's secret model standard, absolute perfection of the female species... still do not even tempt yourself unless you are looking for a way to get off the ship quickly and permanently. Sometimes attractive late-teens / early-20s girls cruise with their family and whilst sure, they'll enjoy the attention of a strapping young lad from the theatre; her parents - if they find out - will be straight to the complaints desk. Some out of principle, and some to try and levy some extra spending money out of Carnival by way of an apology. Even if you don't "do the deed", being seen leaving a passenger cabin is basically taken to mean you did. And remember some ships have CCTV coverage these days so you can't even sneak about... So seriously, don't. There will be plenty of Asian and Eastern European ladies in the crew areas gagging for some western male attention (and a green card...) to take out your frustrations on.

Maybe you should expand on what job it is you're doing?

It's fair to say, congratulations - the cruise lines don't employ idiots. There's not enough people on board to have people along for the ride, so the fact you're there at all means you are ready for it. (So don't let anyone with an agenda try to convince you otherwise!).

In any position, remember that the entire cruise industry's number 1 priority is customer service and satisfaction. Everything else comes second. Like - especially in the case of lower ranks - if a passenger makes a complaint about you, there's a good chance you'll be in line for a plane ticket home pretty soon. Your side of the story is not particularly relevant or even desired. So don't give them any opportunity to penalise you... there is a long line of people waiting to take your gig so it sadly is one of those gigs where it's fairly easy to be fired. So you know, the obvious - turn up in the correct uniform, turn up on time, don't turn up still pissed from the night before, try to get on with your colleagues, treat equipment as you would if it belonged to you, that sort of thing.

Also rule number 1: never ever ever ever go intimate with a passenger. Even if she is an absolute goddess in her swimsuit and in the bedroom, even if she is 6 leagues above anything you could bag at home, even if she is like front-cover-of-playboy material, victoria's secret model standard, absolute perfection of the female species... still do not even tempt yourself unless you are looking for a way to get off the ship quickly and permanently. Sometimes attractive late-teens / early-20s girls cruise with their family and whilst sure, they'll enjoy the attention of a strapping young lad from the theatre; her parents - if they find out - will be straight to the complaints desk. Some out of principle, and some to try and levy some extra spending money out of Carnival by way of an apology. Even if you don't "do the deed", being seen leaving a passenger cabin is basically taken to mean you did. And remember some ships have CCTV coverage these days so you can't even sneak about... So seriously, don't. There will be plenty of Asian and Eastern European ladies in the crew areas gagging for some western male attention (and a green card...) to take out your frustrations on.

Oh wow, totally spaced what position I had. haha. Ill be a light tech. And I role the other way. So just getting any action from anybody is slim to none :)

Oh wow, totally spaced what position I had. haha. Ill be a light tech. And I role the other way. So just getting any action from anybody is slim to none :)

I wouldn't worry about that mate, there are plenty of "your type" on most ships, once you suss out who they are you can keep yourself as busy as you like :hearts:

I used to work for CCL.

http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/about-to-graduate-whats-my-next-move.29618/#post-262947

This is a thread I contributed to.

I would have to disagree with the statement that cruise lines do not employ idiots. I worked with a lot of idiots while on ships. I have also worked with a lot of idiots in other parts of the industry.

I was an LX tech for CCL, let me know if you have any questions. I may have even worked on the ship you are going to.

I would have to disagree with the statement that cruise lines do not employ idiots. I worked with a lot of idiots while on ships. I have also worked with a lot of idiots in other parts of the industry.

Sorry... it was a bad choice of term!

You find idiocy, incompetence and deliberate malice in every theatre from the local am-dram to international opera houses. Idiots are everywhere and some manage to develop impressive CVs and even references by way of networking with likeminded idiots! So to say you don't get them on ships, yes I was factually wrong to say that.

What I more meant is that you will unlikely have anyone on the ship who is like a chancer... somebody who doesn't really know what they're doing. The companies are pretty good at vetting and selecting people who are already able and professional. Whether they're good at their job, mind; is up to the individual!

A lot of those companies for better or worse just need a warm body in a position. It was a common thing on ships as quality of life, job and pay went down.

Regardless its a good gig for a recent college grad or someone starting out looking to get ahead, cruise ship companies look for people in that position.

Not sure what role you are in, but I will pass on this tip about electric:
Often cruise ships distribute electrical power in a very strange way that you don't see on land- 240V Delta with one tip grounded to the frame of the ship. So, you basically have one line that is ground, and two hots. Each hot is 240 volts to ground and there is 240 volts between the the two hots. Very strange! In any case, there are usually lots of small local transformers that bump down to 120 volts. The whole thing is irrelevant unless you have to deal with lighting or sound power distribution. (you did not indicate what role you would be in.)

Working on cruise ships can be the most rewarding experience of your career or the bane of your existence. I believe you know if it is for you within the first week of working onboard as your initial experience will no doubt be a sensory overload of information and responsibility thrown at you. I used to work for Carnival (and am currently writing this from a carnival ship as my girlfirend is a production singer for them) as a Back Stage Manager and then as an Automation tech. I am truley indebted to carnival for the experience it has provided me. Automation is the newest specialty in the theatre world and as such it is rather difficult to find places in the states who "train" you in its use and practices. Since Carnival I have moved on to another member of the corporation (Cunard) and am the relief automation engineer for the three ships (all of which use a different automation system) very few places on land would provide you with such an opportunity to work with multiple systems making me a more valuable technician. That being said heres to you in the start of your new journey, let me know if you have any questions i'd be happy to help.

Ciao,
VanAnthony WIlliams

Working on cruise ships can be the most rewarding experience of your career or the bane of your existence. I believe you know if it is for you within the first week of working onboard as your initial experience will no doubt be a sensory overload of information and responsibility thrown at you. I used to work for Carnival (and am currently writing this from a carnival ship as my girlfirend is a production singer for them) as a Back Stage Manager and then as an Automation tech. I am truley indebted to carnival for the experience it has provided me. Automation is the newest specialty in the theatre world and as such it is rather difficult to find places in the states who "train" you in its use and practices. Since Carnival I have moved on to another member of the corporation (Cunard) and am the relief automation engineer for the three ships (all of which use a different automation system) very few places on land would provide you with such an opportunity to work with multiple systems making me a more valuable technician. That being said heres to you in the start of your new journey, let me know if you have any questions i'd be happy to help.

Ciao,
VanAnthony WIlliams

Hey, I survived my first week. Im on the carnival sensation right now. It has been info coming left and right. Training for this. Training for that. I actually enjoy being on the ship. Everybody is super cool. I might see you around sometime.
Cheers,
Jake

well... see that picture<<<? That's on the Fantasy... so... been there, done that! Actually you'll see my name on most everything. (before Playlist... was TD/LD for 24y)

You can have the job of a lifetime! Just keep a positive outlook--and keep up with the Vari*Lite & Coloram maintenance... and your life will be great. Sometimes when that Fat Tuesdays or Carlos & Charlies is calling your name in Cozumel... think of the long-term. Once you fall behind--you'll never catch up with the gear. Ship's power and HVAC wreak havoc on the gear! Not to mention the 30-min earthquake every time you pull in/out of Port.

remember; "hurricanes are fun!" Go out to the deck-8 fwd balcony backstage and watch the waves... fun! But the Crew Bar down on 7 will have the sailors hurling!

Have a great FunShip time! (and, yes... cameras are everywhere... stay out of Guest Cabins!!!)

Heed the advice that preston has given you, it really is simple advice but makes a HUGE difference if you choose to follow it. I would add on to use all of your time wisely. If you have sea days use them for maintenance, after load in for the next show take out the lift and drop two or three movers that have issue. During the day at sea when the theatre is used as an activity lounge for entertainment staff find a cozy corner and fix your movers. You can't do much in the theatre on a sea day since your rocking on the water and there are activities going on in there for guests. Once you fix your movers get the lift back out at show check time and re hang them. Thats something I did and it helped my say a step ahead. If your lucky you may even find out soon why the magenta disks in the VLs are called Preston Pink.

On a side note, my shop builds all the scenery for Carnival. Haven't been on an install yet but we just added shows to the Sensation last year. How's everything holding up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back