Workshop

lighttechie5948

I'm working on putting together a summer technical theatre workshop for a high school's theatre program. They already have a summer theatre camp and want to add in a summer tech theatre camp, so I suggested starting with a workshop this summer.

It'll be for kids mid-junior high through high school. Centered around their theatre and their theatre program. I was thinking the technical areas we'll be focusing on will be lighting, sound, and scenic.

I've been brainstorming some ideas that we could do and came up with some of these ideas...

Technical Tour of the Theatre

Electrics...
- Look at the different pieces of equipment they own - what’s the difference?
- How to hang a light and circuit it (hands on)
- Understanding the basic control path (walking through the steps from the lighting console to the dimmers to the light, etc)
- Intro to programming (hands on, explain the concept of a ‘cue’, basic syntax) (I was planning to move the console [Ion] down to the stage and projecting the displays onto the cyc)
- Intro to photo metrics (I actually have a cool fun origami trick that explains photo metrics very simply - how a 50º source four equates to the 50º field angle on stage, etc)
- Intro to lighting design (color mixing (how does gel work as well as some RGB color theory - hang 3 lights and we can color mix on faders), gobos, warm/cool, simple stuff but fun and hands on)

Sound...
- Don't have any ideas yet....

Carpentry
- How to operate the fly rail and throw weight
- Maybe we can build a platform or another fun project
- Learn what tools are called, etc.

- Q&A with workshop faculty either as part of the sessions or as a separate forum.

Definitely going to cut a bunch and want to add others. I want the workshop to be fun and hands on (so the kids don't get bored), but also teach them a bit so that they'll want to show up to stage crew at the school and be able to do something without being the way once they're there.

Any ideas of activities / things for us to do? Thanks!

Sounds like a good time. Here is a forum about people's favorite tech theater lessons.

Two things I would be sure to cover is properly wrapping a cable, and how to tie a necktie. I personally feel that no theater person should be without these skill.

What I did with my tech kids to introduce them to sound was to have them build a PA. I took components and cables and went over signal path (real basic, how mic eventually goes to speaker) and had them plug it all in. Once they proved they could correctly wire mic to mixer to amp to speaker, I gave them some signal processors and let them plug in guitars and other fun stuff to see how the sound would be affected. From there we talked about EQ and how different input sources will require different things from the EQ. After that point I lost a few and had a few that were ready to learn more (thus finding out who in stagecraft will be running sound for anything important) and from there we talked about different mic scenarios, patching procedures specific to our building, how to wire speakers in parallel without killing amps. We explored the difference b/w dynamic and condenser mics, talked about power on order and other ways to protect the equipment from damage. Watched the YouTube videos where they try to destroy (unsuccessfully) a SM58.

The biggest thing I guess is that they understand signal path. Everyone will at one point have to patch a mic in, not everyone will get to run the board for a big show. Since it's a summer camp, it may require a different tack though.

+1 on the cable wrapping. We had races to see who could over/under the fastest.

There are a bunch, it's kinda like Shure's version of "Will It Blend?"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as amusing as *hell* that they couldn't get the sound clean all the way through -- especialliy in the 'before' clip.

I find the ending remark amusing "so why would you use any other mic?"
Sure the Shure is a "hammer", but sometimes you need a fine chisel, a saw, or even a screwdriver.

BTW another +1 on cable wrapping. Id say show at least the forward wrap and split wrap. Used to compete who could throw out a long cable furthest.

+1 on basic knots. It is surprising how many people can't tie a bowline, clove hitch, necktie, or really anything other than a "granny knot" and "bow".

Building flats or risers can be good, and increase stock, if you have the time.
One of the first things I had to do was traditional wood joining. Half-lap and mortise-and-tenon joints, that was a fun project that doesn't take too long and uses very little material.

For sound the flow for a simple PA is more than enough to eat up a good day with some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back