World Newspapers - Props

ntrimp91

Hey all,

I am in need of acquiring copies of world newspapers from many different countries as props for a production of The Misanthrope my department is producing. I am from the central New York region, and I've been told that the closest place to get world papers is NYC. Any idea of where I would be able to get my hands on these papers within NYC?

I'm sure there is some central place in NYC that can help you out, but being from the midwest, I would check my local ethnic stores to see if they have anything available. I know the Russian market, many middle eastern shops and Chinese shops in my area would wrap their items in papers from their country.

The times has a nice archive and there are some other examples around the web that you could get printed. Off the top of my head I can't think of addresses for the others.

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com

Via tapatalk

How far away is the audience from the stage? Many newspapers publish a PDF of their front page. You could take that and print it full size at Kinkos, stress it a bit to make it look right, attach it to a normal paper. If the audience isn't too close it'll work just fine. Check here for newspapers around the world.

Here in Seattle, there's a great news stand which features papers and magazines from around the world. It's located near the University because international students want their information from home... is there anything like that near you which draws people from around the world? It could be a place to find foreign papers. Also check around for antique shops that have collectible books, magazines, and news papers.

I've worked on plays with paperboys before in a somewhat intimate 120 seat house, so the front rows would be able to read the larger text on the front pages. Not sure who on the production was responsible for it, but they sent pages to print shop that had newsprint and wrapped the play-specific paper around a regular local newspaper to give it heft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back