Worth getting a few more Fresnels?

dpak

We have one lonely Altman 65q Fresnel in our collection (and plenty of S4 pars and ellipsoidals). Is it worth getting a few more fresnels – mainly for my tech theater class to get hands-on experience (though we would also use them for shows)? Are they still used often enough that my kids should be familiar with them? We also have some LED pars and moving lights, so they are getting experience with the new stuff as well. At $134 each, it won’t kill my budget to get a few more, but if they’re not used much anymore, it might not be worth it.
Thank you for your responses!

From my personal experience I'd say yes, I've found 500W Fresnels to be a bit of a Swiss army knife.

Cheap and easyish to relamp depending on maker.

I frequently use them when something needs supplemental light, such as:

Makeshift lighting for the orchestra pit when the contractors ran off with all our led pit lights.

Lighting for a staircase set piece that was upstage, and thus actors on top of it were in the dark.

Crew lounge lights when the circuit for the fluorescent goes out.

Accent on curtains, an idea I got after a visit backstage at the National Arts Centre.

Absolutely. Fresnels are amazing lighting fixtures, and my personal favorite in small spaces/theatres.

BTLs are terrible lamps though. Very dim and low Color temp. Use BTH lamps (575W, 115V). They have much 33% more output than a BTL for only 75 more watts. Also, HPLs really shouldn't go in fresnels. CAN they, sure, but their filament layout was designed specifically for an ellipsoidal reflector, not for a spherical one, so you get ZERO benefit by using it (and maybe some negative) over a C13 or C13D filament lamp (BTH/BTR/BTN/BTL). BTH has the same output as an HPL/GLC/FLK (all are 575W 115V, ~15,500 lumens, 3200K CCT, etc.). The only real benefit of using an HPL in a Fresnel is to save on having to stock multiple types of lamps. I fully understand the value in that benefit, but there is no performance benefit to using an HPL, and possibly a performance negative. I'm not sure though. We haven't done any testing of how the 4-segment square coil collects in the Spherical reflector compared to the C13/C13D design.

I love the Altman 65Q, however antiquated it might seem. I just completely renovated a high school "little theater" (150 seats with low ceilings) and filled it with LED strip light and wash fixtures. The LEDs are great for fills and color washes, but the combination of Source Four Junior 50 degree fixtures and the Altman 6" Fresnels is magical. Definitely buy a few.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll probably get four more - that would be enough for the tech theater class to work with, and it would give us a few more options for lighting shows.

I once saw an experimental show that was lit by a single 6" Fresnel. The players used the single pool of light quite well.

Interesting, but for a lighting tech, that's even easier than a normal lights up / lights down gig.

Say... It would be unfortunate if the bulb failed.

Last edited:
Interesting, but for a lighting tech, that's even easier than a normal lights up / lights down gig.

Say... It would be unfortunate if the bulb failed.
Ahh . . . but that's why you double hang it.
I had the following debate with a designer some years back.
There was a critical moment in the production where all of the lighting pulled in to one , single, extremely tightly focused special. The designer wanted it double hung but only the single instrument illuminated. I was instructed to watch like a hawk and light the alternate lamp if suddenly required.
I counter proposed hanging a duplicate fixture immediately above the special and running both lamps at a lower intensity with a submaster pre-loaded and at the ready to raise the level of the remaining single lamp to equal the previous look of the two lamps at the original level. We demo'd both approaches for the director and having both lamps lit won the 'toss'. The production was a Jamaican tour which had booked in for a multi-performance run. The the performer precisely hit his spike and was lit in a very tight and crisply focused head shot. A jet black-skinned actor, clothed totally in matte black, in an intensely dramatic moment lit by Strand 2112's; rarely seen instruments very close in beam angle to an Altman 6 x 22 360Q and with 'donuts' to make their focus even sharper. The angle was chosen such that all spill was out of sight of the patrons and, with the gentleman's intensely dramatic face hi-lit in near total isolation, the designer achieved the look she was seeking. Amazingly, the performer held his position flawlessly while delivering his soliloquy for some minutes. It was the dramatically intense and riveting end of their first act and their director was over joyed.
In all seriousness, the director wanted to take our lamps with him for the remainder of their tour but it would have been pointless as a lot of the look was dependent upon our theatre having hanging points exactly where their designer needed them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

ah' should have seen some of the shows I designed with ACL #4559 11x12̊ degree beam angle as a single downlight at short throw, or a single 3.5Q5 also downlight with a HX-600 lamp for an also short throw but wider angle. Takes good talent on stage to find their light as the challenge in doing so.

Given the eyes follow the light, a single Fresnel can do a lot in a great effect, but I would do some very light fill lighting to cover the talent. And also have some resources in place, this in case the talent didn't and couldn't find their mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back