Would you hire him?

oh that sucks, but you can see why they did it.
anyway
ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats it's time for an update
I have been speaking with my schools career person and he feels that i should complete my yr11 and 12 studies, which means that i would have to put off my degree for another year (starting it in 2009, rather than 2008)
but what he has suggested is some work placement at a sound company (work experience to people would know it as) which i think is a step forward to at least getting some contacts and it's something to put on my resume as i can say i got paid for it which i will (minimum 5dollars a day, to cover insurance, if you get paid you work for the company so you a covered by insurance :)) so even if i am rolling cables or something i really don't mind as everything is a step forward. besides on sunday i get to sink my teeth into a sound supervision role for my school teaching a new kid how to operate 16ch desk with a eq system....yes my life is boring but it gives me something to look forward to.

That's GREAT Hughesie. That's exactly the sort of thing that will build the contacts you need and get you real work in the real world. Congrats. Now get to work! Remember no task is beneath you and every person you meet might be the key to your future in the industry no matter how much of a jerk they are.

Last edited:
I am doing a similar thing this Christmas holidays, a weeks work experience at Queensland's largest performing arts centre (QPAC) And next year I may be taking a program where I complete a university subject (which I get credit for) every semester while I am in grade 12.

The Aussies present might be able to help me out here, I am also looking for a good theater/lighting university degree to commence in 2009. QUT has a Bachelor of Fine Arts (technical production) but I have had mixed reports about it. Some love it and some hate it. Are there any comparable courses in Australia that others know of? I figure I can travel to anywhere in QLD, NSW or VIC for a course and get cheap flights home at holidays etc.

Thanks
Tom

Nothing in SA.

I love this town in many ways, grew up here and all that. The Festival is great but ...

The rest of the year stinks artistically and there is no real tertiary education in the arts here at all.

Boys and Girls i have more news

the paperwork is now complete and i am doing two weeks (one before my exams) and one after them, interesting fact, before you can do work experience in Victoria you have to do a OH&S course, consisting of a 16 question online quiz that in the end leaves you with a certificate, anyway....

if you want to look at what passes as a OHS course in victoria
you can find it here

http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/safe@work/tests/index.asp

I just registered as "Hughesie Logos" a student at "SA Theater Tech". I got three wrong but then I didn't read the material.

still a good test to run on new students, but obvious but still helps you get a base line of knowledge

Horse hockey.
That's what references are for.

Hmm, no not always. There are a couple things you have to know about checking references:

--> Calling the first reference which is often their current job can be a very risky move. If I have a problem on my staff, I can solve that problem by giving his next employer a good reference.

--> People choose specific references for a reason - for all I know the guy listed at the previous job is the candidate's best buddy.

Call back a couple jobs and you usually get somewhere, but just because they got good references doesn't guarantee by any stretch that the candidate will be a good hire.

I don't trust referees at all. I was actually told by a professional HR person that no good reference can be taken seriously anymore because people are too afraid of being sued for bad references. I would much rather find people who worked with the candidate on jobs and have no axe to grind and have a confidential chat.

mmm, i agree

but it shouldn't all be on refrences, i think talking to the person is the best way to decide

Hughesie after reading all your posts and your metric terror attack P.M.s, I've decided the answer to this thread is "no".

:twisted:

Further news

in two days (thursday) i will be doing a gapped two week work expiriance course with these guys Link i have no idea what i will be doing, but my supervisier is the owner of the company, so it shall be intresting, i will report back on this issue when i get time

Last edited:
Well, that'd be cool if the link worked. Add a second m to make it comms and you'll get the right site.

That does look like an awesome company to get involved with! Enjoy your work experience course.

well, what a day i have had, came in wound some cables then assisted in the delivery of some sound gear to one of melbourne's theatres, back to base to wind cables then out to a movie studio to drop some two way radios off and have a general look around, there building a full size battleship and have tons of tanks and jeeps for the filming of "the pacfic" which is a tv series that is being filmed here in melbourne, australia

one of the best days i have had

Now this is belated, but you'll cope:twisted:. Standard reply from me, random collection of thoughts hopefully having some link back to the topic...

Your careers adviser has a degree of sense. Whatever else you may choose, do your VCE. So many things these days need it or the HSC or all the other equivalents. In fact, NSW are looking to phase out the School Certificate at the end of year 10 simply because it's of bugger all relevance in today's society.

Now up here, there are these things called VET courses which allow you to study for an AQF certificate and it counts as a subject and you can use one of them in calculating your UAI subject to a couple of conditions. I think your equivalent of the UAI is the TER or the like.

How did you find the work experience? It's interesting that you get paid, because up here it's the complete opposite. Work Experience can't be paid because it stuffs up the Education Dept's insurance - they have what is basically workers comp insurance to cover every kid on authorised work experience. The aforementioned VET courses have a mandatory 70 hours work placement that you have to completed within the course, normally as 2 blocks of a week. Most people do 1 in yr11 & 1 in yr12.

I firmly believe that it is who you know and not what you know. But what you know can be important, it's just a shame that what you know and what pieces of paper you hold are definitely not the same thing... I hate to say it but given what I've seen, I wouldn't even take an advanced diploma as any indication you know anything. This would be because I happen to work immediately opposite Juliusmedia and while I'm sure that the certificate lives up to all the stated objectives and CUE03, it's no guarantee that you will actually know what you are doing at the end of it. But I guess it's like everything, it's only worth as much as you are willing to put into it...

Juliusmedia or Julius Events (they keep changing their name, I suspect for accounting reasons) do offer the short courses, Cert 3, sections thereof, Cert 4 is a 6 mnth course and Adv Dip is a full year "full time"meaning what 9:30 til 1:30 5 days a week or something. But comparing that to academic "full time"... There are others who do short courses, NIDA I think, probably the VCA would as well as other similar places...

As to lighting deign etc. degrees - I know NIDA do one, I suspect that these other places would as well: VCA, WAAPA etc. But they are very high level courses...I believe Uni of Wollongong does a technical sort of course... head over to the UAC website at http://www.uac.edu.au for information on all courses at all NSW unis... there should be a page that links to the respective organisations in the other states...

tomed, remember that QPAC is part of the public sector and that WILL affect the way they do things; it's just a factor if the public sector.

The more normal address for the Julius group would be http://www.juliusmedia.com

These Outlook Comms people seem to be telling porkies... The claim of most experienced providing tech. services for the ent. industry is very questionable, they have been around 18 years. McLean on the other hand were principal audio contractor for Melbourne 1956...

One thing I forgot, would someone please tell me what this test and tag LICENCE you speak of is... Workcover (NSW) do not issue licences, but do need 12 pages to define a "competent person" - basically doa course, but they don't accredit courses or issue licences...

Last edited:
In Tas you do a four day course at TAFE and end up with a State Govt issued license. You don't need the license because you only have to be a competent person. However unless you hold a current general electricians licnese or the TAFE issued license it could be hard to prove that you are competent.
In SA we are the same as you. You have to be a competent person. The state government has decided that the best definition of a competent person is someone who holds a current electricians license or who has completed the one day TAFE course giving a certificate that says you can test stuff.
I don't know the other States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back