wow...

DMXtools said:
By the way, both NSI and Lightronics also make DMX to microplex translators. It's just that they'd rather sell you several new DMX dimmer packs (or keep you locked in to their microplex products) than just one converter, so they price their converters pretty high and don't advertise them. Protocol translators are all I do, so I try to keep prices reasonable.

John

And the above is why you stand above most that produce a product of your own in that you do recognize that there are many paddles available to move this boat. Most people will have said we offer such a thing than left it at that necessitating me to tell of other suppliers out of fairness.

Converters having built-in dimmers..., could be done but it would be custom to do. I expect just about any dimmer manufacturer can produce a converter. I have for a long time had a NSI converter granted it takes an electronics expert to tell me which bridge to put where once I take the thing apart to get at doing so. DMX Tool's version I believe reads various languages automatically. Don't know if it will work in either direction desired such as the NSI converter I have however.

ship said:
Converters having built-in dimmers..., could be done but it would be custom to do.
Actually, I think the reference was to intels having built-in dimmers. Some do. The ones that don't are usually not meant to be dimmed.

Getting back to converters -
DMX Tool's version I believe reads various languages automatically. Don't know if it will work in either direction desired such as the NSI converter I have however.
Actually, I'm sticking to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and have different low-priced models to convert in each direction rather than a high-priced "do everything" box. Also, right now I only cover various flavors of "microplex" that have existed over the years. The NSI box does one flavor of microplex (microplex-128), plus MIDI, AMX-192, RS-232, Luma-net and 4-channels of 0-10 volt analog. The complexity Ship mentioned is because you have to set jumpers and switches to select the one translation you need. For a contractor, DJ or anyone who needs to coordinate his own gear with installed systems in a lot of different venues, it's wonderful, and I've recommended it over my own equipment in those situations. But for people who just want to upgrade a microplex (or Sunn-plex, Ultra-plex, LMX or MUX-64) system to DMX-512, I think I provide a more cost-effective, easier-to-use solution.

John

One quesiton: what's a grid? I keep hearing people talk about it and I don't know what one is. It sounds ike a lighting thing...the only lighting things I know of that you hang things on are like battens, tormentors, ladders, those things.

thanks!
It's a rigging thing...A grid is a high up place to fall from and die.:twisted::p

This thread is from 2004, major necropost. Was the wiki not around back then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back