Wrapping vs. tying cable

I worked with an LD who insisted on clove hitches for cable. Strike took 3 times as long. Regular shoelace knots hold fine and come off with a good tug. IMO, as always.
You obviously don't know how to quickly remove a clove hitch or the clove hitches were tied incorrectly.

Clove hitches come down lickety split quick.

I worked with an LD who insisted on clove hitches for cable. Strike took 3 times as long. Regular shoelace knots hold fine and come off with a good tug. IMO, as always.

I respectfully disagree. They most certainly do not "hold fine"--they give way really easily when you end up having to walk on that pipe/truss/beam/etc. A clove hitch (usually) takes no more than a double tug. I'd most certainly rather have strike take 5-10 minutes longer than have a bundle drop off a pipe under my foot in the dark 25' in the air.

--Sean

I always use a shoelace knot and have never had one come out, even the run where there are 10-15 cables in it. With that said, I typically wrap the tieline around the pipe and cable twice. Also, I have found more and more that I am using e-tape and zipties. E-tape is great because it is cheap, and if you are working on truss you can use grey tape to hide it.

In both the UK and here we tend to use e-tape. Use the colour you need to match up. Black is favourite. We also tend to use e-tape to tape up cable after coiling if it doesn't have velcro ties.
E-tape works out as less that 10c a foot.

I There was that one day that I needed a piece and all I found in the tieline box were ~18" long chunks. That was the day the "tieline cutting jig" was born. The approved length here is 36".
*sigh*
--Sean

All the tieline I use is 15"-18", Anything longer just becomes a waste of tieline. I'm always cutting longer pieces so they don't have more than 6" of excess after tying.

We always use shoelace knots, Everyone knows how to tye it and since we always have different actors on the crew, It doesn't make any sense to add to the list of things we have to teach them (if they don't want to learn any tech). I'm all for tielining cable although I do sometimes end up wrapping it if its in our overstage lighting position which is only accessable via ladder, scafolding, or some rather dangerous climbing.

When cutting tieline, it's best to use the "two cubits rule". Hold the end in your hand, wrap it around your elbow in the same manner you should NEVER coil cable, meet your hand and cut at said length.

We always use shoelace knots with our tie line. Granted, we have a suspension grid, so its not as huge of a deal (I guess), but even so, I can't remember many, if any, problems with using that knot.

I respectfully disagree. They most certainly do not "hold fine"--they give way really easily when you end up having to walk on that pipe/truss/beam/etc. A clove hitch (usually) takes no more than a double tug. I'd most certainly rather have strike take 5-10 minutes longer than have a bundle drop off a pipe under my foot in the dark 25' in the air.
--Sean
I see now that we are talking about two very different situations. In your case a clove hitch would be totally appropriate. The show I was referring to took place in a theatre with a standard fly system. No one would be walking on the battens unless their last name was Wallenda. Plus it was a teaching theatre with half the crew being acting apprentices. A badly done clove hitch is a scary thing. ;-)

I see now that we are talking about two very different situations. In your case a clove hitch would be totally appropriate. The show I was referring to took place in a theatre with a standard fly system. No one would be walking on the battens unless their last name was Wallenda. Plus it was a teaching theatre with half the crew being acting apprentices. A badly done clove hitch is a scary thing. ;-)

One of the situations I'm referring to is on a batten.

The point is that when you tie something up you want it to stay there. A clove hitch keeps the tension on the cable as you finish with a bow, a "shoelace knot" does not.

And for whoever above asked: you tie a clove hitch with both ends the same length, then tie the "second half" of the "shoelace knot" (double slip knot?) that keeps the ends cleaned up.

36" because you want to be able to pull on both ends (and have enough to tie the bow) when wrapped around 3 or 4 mults, a breakout, and maybe some data cables. Just tying a clove hitch on bare 1.5" ID pipe will use ~20" of tieline.

--Sean

We always use shoelace knots, Everyone knows how to tye it and since we always have different actors on the crew, It doesn't make any sense to add to the list of things we have to teach them (if they don't want to learn any tech). I'm all for tielining cable although I do sometimes end up wrapping it if its in our overstage lighting position which is only accessable via ladder, scafolding, or some rather dangerous climbing.

Yes yes it does make sense. It's called teaching. Most students don't want to learn basic algebra in HS...does that mean we shouldn't teach it to them?

Seriously this is why the US's college standards are dropping par.

And for whoever above asked: you tie a clove hitch with both ends the same length, then tie the "second half" of the "shoelace knot" (double slip knot?) that keeps the ends cleaned up.
--Sean

The term you're looking for is half-hitch.

I use a lot of booms (i.e., vertical pipe with a base) and there's just no good way to deal with excess that I've found. Typically, I'll lay the pipe horizontal, attach the fixtures and tape the cords down the pipe a couple times, leaving some slack for focus. Unless I have right arms (which I typically don't need) the dimmer usually lays on the floor so I have 2 - 4 a/c cords running down. Excess gets coiled and laid on the floor. Sometimes we'll cover it with fabric, but not always.

Last edited:
This thread is proving what I tell my students...in theatre there is rarely one way to do anything. In the 27(ugh!) years I've been using shoelace knots to tie my cables I've never had one fall, but that doesn't mean that I would tell anyone they are wrong for using clove hitches. The fact that I find them to slow things down come strike time is a personal preference, and if I were working for you and you mandated the clove hitch that's what I'd do. Prior to this thread if someone had suggested using electrical tape to secure cable I would have objected, but it appears that it is an accepted method on some hangs. Whatever works, and is not unsafe, would be a good philosophy. Take heed, younglings, and avoid absolutes when you can. :)

Rick T.

This thread is proving what I tell my students...in theatre there is rarely one way to do anything. In the 27(ugh!) years I've been using shoelace knots to tie my cables I've never had one fall, but that doesn't mean that I would tell anyone they are wrong for using clove hitches. The fact that I find them to slow things down come strike time is a personal preference, and if I were working for you and you mandated the clove hitch that's what I'd do. Prior to this thread if someone had suggested using electrical tape to secure cable I would have objected, but it appears that it is an accepted method on some hangs. Whatever works, and is not unsafe, would be a good philosophy. Take heed, younglings, and avoid absolutes when you can. :)
Rick T.
Very good point....let me go ahead and add this bit of wisdom to it for the younger participants:

Just because it's the way you've always done it doesn't mean its right.

I thought this topic evolved into something that sounded familiar. Turns out it was me who started the poll, way back in December, 2007!

Just because it's the way you've always done it doesn't mean its right.

Which is the moral of the ham story.

You've never heard the ham story?

A young couple are married. She cooks a ham for the first time. She cuts the ends off. The husband asks why she does it.
"Because that's the way my mom taught me."
So the husband asks mom.
"Because that's the way my mom taught me." was his mother-in-law's reply.
So the husband asks his grandmother-in-law.
"Because the ham was too big for the pan."

Which is the moral of the ham story.
You've never heard the ham story?
A young couple are married. She cooks a ham for the first time. She cuts the ends off. The husband asks why she does it.
"Because that's the way my mom taught me."
So the husband asks mom.
"Because that's the way my mom taught me." was his mother-in-law's reply.
So the husband asks his grandmother-in-law.
"Because the ham was too big for the pan."

EXCELLENT!!! Now I have something to go along with me yelling my favorite catchphrase!

I don't have anything close to 27 years of experience, more like 7, but I've never never been in a situation were I felt a DOUBLE wrap around the pipe and then a shoelace knot was even close to coming off the pipe. A single wrap and a shoelace knot on the other hand is really unreliable. That's why I believe in the two cubit rule. IMHO any tie less than 24" is pretty much useless for securing pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back