• Altman Wrench

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Litespeed Wrench

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Sylak

So, after working with different people lighting, I'm wonder what type or wrenches you guys prefer to use?

Personally, i prefer the Mega Combo wrench (seen ehre http://www.afm-prod.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?mode=itemView&item=127&nav_id=6 ) because it requires no adjusting, and my school buys them in bulk although i know people who refuse to use them and just like crescent Wrenches, and i assume theres somebody out theres somebody who prefers a self-adjusting wrench, like the Gator-Grip thing that was on infomercials in the late-90's

I have never been a fan of the Maga Combo wrench on account of it's size. I lose things of that size on a regular basis. I swear by my C-Wrench, and very rarely do you seem me without it's blue cord coming out of my pocket up to my belt.

Shoot. I wish I could revote now, beacuse I just remembered what it was I love. I voted Mega-Combo, because it fits on a carabiner on my belt and no matter where I am in the theater, whenever, I have it.

But what I forgot, were SOCKET WRENCHES! Get a good socket wrench, pop on a 5/8" bit (The one with ridges all around, not the hexagonal-only kind), and boom! You're done in a flash. If I don't trust it to get tight enough, I pull out my mega-combo (and hit it with the socket, if necessary)

There are too many f*ckit nuts to be dealt with to just leave it up to a socket wrench at my school. Mega clamps are a great idea, but with the standard old C-clamps, I've gotta have my mega-handle.

Wish I had mega clamps. That's a good point though, the socket is only really good for putting stuff up, changing sockets is annoying. And a lot of times the ****nuts on our clamps are so rusty they won't fit into my Mega-Combo :eek:

The other problem is that there are two sizes of f*ckit nuts. Only the Altman wrench can handle both, but the Altman wrench is very cumbersome in its own way. I prefer a mega handle with a small pair of small slipjoint pliers in hand just in case. This will, of course, bring up the arguement of "OH! he's gonna mess up the square end with slipjoints!" Nope, not yet. And anyways, most of the heads that the slipjoints are used for are already busted up because of rust or improper wrench use (overtightening, etc.).

Best lighting wrench ever is the craftsman Clench Wrench. I have had mine now for about 8 years and its still going strong. They don't make them anymore, so the lifetime guarentee thing is out the window. I keep meaning to pick up a few on ebay to put in my secret stash so I will have them around when I loose the one I have... for those who don't know what they are... http://www0.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-All-Craftsman_2_pc_Clench_Wrench_Set_42302

I like the "opens beer!" function on the wingnut one, len ;)

I picked up one of those gator grips and I've been experimenting with it. It's great for basic adjustments the problem is it's a bit large if you have to go underneath and tighten that bolt that holds the C-clamp on the. But other than that it's pretty slick. Although I'm not quite ready to give up my Crescent wrench for it.

I picked up one of those gator grips and I've been experimenting with it. It's great for basic adjustments the problem is it's a bit large if you have to go underneath and tighten that bolt that holds the C-clamp on the. But other than that it's pretty slick. Although I'm not quite ready to give up my Crescent wrench for it.

They also tend to get messed up on the ****it nut.

i dont think i'll be trading my crench for anything any time soon. i've tried the altman speed wrenches but thought they were kinda clumsy. i wouldn't mind trying one of the mega handles but i guess it just is a matter of what you get used to

I am a huge fan of the Mega Combo wrench. It fits my needs very well. I have mine attached to one of the wrist band key rings. That way it is literally at hand during a light hang or focus. Plus, I can let it go and work with both hands and it is still right there, not back and forth in and out of pockets. I still always carry an adjustable end wrench as well for all of the occasional ill fitting nuts and bolts.

~Dave

Dave Simpson
Production Manager
East China Performing Arts Center

this for wingnuts http://www.wingnutspanner.co.uk/pageone.htm
All the other tools usually don't get used, but I still have them.

I'm more a fan of the Wing Nut Wrenches I make out of 4 point T-Handle wrenches. Believe this is the McMaster part number.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

javascript:chgimg('E25FK');

5532A17
Socket-Style Wrench T-Handle, SQ Opening, 9/16" Sz, 6-1/2" O'all, Black Fnsh
In stock at $34.08 Each

All it takes is a wrench, a bench vise and a worm drive saw with abrasive steel cutting blade. Cut a 3/16" x 3/4" deep slot across corners and you have a cheeseborough wrench.

I'm also a big fan of speed wrenches (ratcheting box wrenches) - it's already 12 point in the 5/8" doing 1/2" square screws, and 3/4" for the 1/2" bolt. The lightspeed wrenches are cool, wasn't there however one of the ratcheting box wrenches with a F/U square hole cut in it at one point also? None the less, I don't have to worry about this screw much these days. Our fixtures have a hard fiber washer between the yoke and C-Clamp which allows normal tension on the bolt attaching the clamp to the yoke, but due to the nature of the fiber washer, not so much pressure that you can't swivel the yoke without the bolt loosening. It's a concept where you don't have to use the F/U bolt at all, or loosen the 1/2" bolt to swivel the fixture. Not a cheap solution but cost effective. Due to this, the standard Craftsman speed wrench is fine for me if I'm doing a lot of fixtures.

Othewise for normal work and what I always have, my black oxide insulated handle Klien 8" c-wrench has never failed me. I like a insulated handle - ...just in case something is shorted and it's more comfortable to use.

I don't allow "Clinches" and or any form of channel lock at work. That's nice.. take it home and don't bring it back. Never liked how the teeth on the jaws tended to dig into the bolts.

Beyond that, for truss, there is the Errection (construction) wrench that's popular for doing truss.

5747A12
1/2" Square Drive Construction Ratchet Wrench Pear-Shaped Head, Black Finish, 14" Overall Length
In stock at $45.85 Each

Last edited:
I own my own "Vampire Cross", which I'm pretty sure is the Altman wrench. I love it, except for the somewhat soft metal and size when trying to get at the F*ck-me-nut. If I'm not using that, I swear by crescent wrenches. Usually I carry both with me, just to be sure!

I like my c-wrench. I have known MEs, who, if you showed up at a call with anything over a 6 inch c-wrench, would take your c-wrench and throw it on a metal cutting bandsaw and cut 2 inches off of it.

Speaking of tools, I once saw a gator grip socket with 2 slots cut out of the sides. It was designed for wing nuts. Anyone know where I can get one?

Wait.......................what???

Anything over a 8" C-wrench Allows you to put way too much torque on a bolt. I used to yell at people all the time when I'd unload Meat racks and the lights were so tight they'd dented the pipe, C-clamps are cast they'll break if you torque them too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back