Wrinkled velour curtain

JLNorthGA

The former tenants have returned a main drape - which has already been replaced (but that's another story).

Let it suffice to say, it was left "wadded up" and in a heap. If I could send it to the cleaners, I would ;).

So - I have it laying on the stage right now. I will hang it on two battens and I will vacuum it as it goes up.

How do I get the wrinkles out? The curtain dates from 1999 - and I don't believe it has been treated since then. What is a good way to treat it with flame retardant? If it needs cleaning - what is a good way to clean it?

There are companies that will clean and fire treat your stage draperies and re-certify them. We ship ours to Montreal.

There may be local companies that can do on-site cleaning and spray application, assuming that meets your local codes. Try a Google search for curtain fire treatment <state> or <major city>.

Just hang it. After it hangs for a week or two the wrinkles will fall out. Most should be gone in a day. Then you need to look at the FR cert if your AHJ is into that type of thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, the wrinkles will hang out in a few days. If it needs to be treated with flame retardant, it is a job you can do yourself. The trick with velours is to spray several light coats on the back side keeping the application as even as possible.

If you treat it yourself, document the process. Photos of the process, of the product used, and the application technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back