WTB: 50 Degree S4 Lens Tubes

Thanks for the link. I check Used Lighting.com often and they are currently out of 50 degree lens TUBES (which is what I need, so if you feel like changing the title of this thread...).

I have to disagree....I OFTEN hear...and use both those terms. "What barrel type?" is an oft-heard question around these parts.

I agree, but apparently Derek was confused...

No; Derek's correct. A look at the exploded assembly drawings for fixtures shows that the tube is the removable part of the fixture that contains the lens(es); the barrel is part of the body of the fixture and is what the tube is inserted into. The barrel is also the part of the body of the fixture that can be rotated and that contains the shutter planes and template/iris slots.

While you may often hear people use the terms interchangeably, and people may understand what it is you mean when you use the terms interchangeably, there is a distinct difference between a Lens Tube and a Barrel. Even though I recognize that difference, Derek's caught me at least once or twice slip up and use the term "Barrel" in place of "Lens Tube". For that matter, if you tell someone to perform a "Barrel Swap" without any context, they'll know what you mean, but most people will hesitate when you refer to it as a "Tube Swap", which is what it more appropriately should be referred to.

I do not concede and will be calling it "barrel" for the rest of my life. People in my industry (at least around me) call it a "50 degree barrel" so that's what sticks. Your last sentence sums it up. Sorry, but popular nomenclature wins it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back