WTB Cheap DMX Dimmer Unit

You may want to consider getting an Enttec or DMX King usb to dmx interface , a $400 or so computer from Tiger Direct or NewEgg, and one of the software programs listed on the Enttec and DMX King web pages. You could be running with almost all of the features of a dedicated board (depending on what software you choose) for well under the $1K budget.

You may want to consider getting an Enttec or DMX King usb to dmx interface , a $400 or so computer from Tiger Direct or NewEgg, and one of the software programs listed on the Enttec and DMX King web pages. You could be running with almost all of the features of a dedicated board (depending on what software you choose) for well under the $1K budget.
I should of been more specific they need a whole system(board, Dimmer, and some more lights) currently the four lights they have are turned on and off from the breaker box.

You really cannot accomplish what you are asking to do with equipment that would be even remotely reliable unless you scored some sort of incredible find of decent used equipment that someone was liquidating. $1000 buys very little in terms of reliable equipment.

At that price... use it to buy materials to start writing grant applications!

I should of been more specific they need a whole system(board, Dimmer, and some more lights) currently the four lights they have are turned on and off from the breaker box.
Are the lights being switched on and off directly wired or are they plugged into outlets? If the current lights are plugged into outlets, you could probably add shoebox dimmers between the outlets and the lights and set up a PC based controller as @dbaxter suggests.

1k is next to nothing, but if that's really all you have, try some par 56 cans and a satellite dimmer, controlled by a simple memory controller (the scene setter 48 is pretty easy create scenes in.) Eventually you could replace the pars with source 4 junior zooms with Edison plugs installed for a much better over all setup, but they definitely cost more. You could also eventually upgrade control to a computer based system (I recommend a laptop running QLC+.) If you could get your total budget to 3,000-4,000 you could do much more.

DMX Dimmer Packs can be relatively inexpensive. I just picked up 5 2x4 MBT dmx dimmer packs for $60 each. The Enttec Open DMX USB Dongle works well, at $67 at Full Compass, a moderately good pc, even one that is being readied to retire, can serve as a basic controller, QLC+ is a free program that will run lights, sound & video, with very good programming capability for lights. You can take the rest of your 1K for lights and making sure your electrical supply is sufficient for what you're trying to do. DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR ELECTRICAL SUPPLY, OR YOU RUN THE RISK OF BURNING DOWN YOUR SCHOOL!

One addendum, the Enttec Open DMX USB Dongle is a 5 pin DMX interface, while many of the dimmer packs out there are 3 pin, so you'll need a 5 pin male to 3 pin female adapter, also cheap.

Light Factory sells a package with the dongle that's $129. You can get a Korg MIDI fader board for $60 and use that as a physical handle to input commands to the PC. LF can build a ton of submaster pages to give you as much control as you need.

Do you have a link for Light Factory? I did a search and found about 5 different sites?
Thanks
http://www.lightfactory.net/store/category/?mPath=7&osCsid=4s0blpjubij2od5h0ctav7mfi7

You can also download the demo free. It outputs DMX for like 30 minutes so you can play around with it.

Edit- now that I'm at my desktop

There are a handful of members here that use Light Factory and talk about it, but there is a Yahoo! Group community dedicated to it and the software's creator, Martin Searancke, posts regularly there. If you've never used a computer based controller before, there is a decently steep learning curve, but if you are reasonably accomplished with Windows-based computers you will do fine.

The nice thing about LightFactory is that it's very scalable to whatever setup you're using. I run the LF50 package at my church where they've got like 20 conventionals and 10 or so LED intelligent lights and we use the NanoKontrol for handles. At my day job we run an ETC Express through a DMX USB PRO to give 96 submasters per page and a whole bunch of other fun stuff.

If you download the demo and play around with it, let me know if you have any questions. I'm far below expert level on the software, but I can help you navigate and get lights turned on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back