[WTB] Intellabeam 700HX Dimmer Wheel (2x)

Bubby4j

I need to buy 2 Intellabeam 700HX dimmer wheels, I have 2 fixtures which have none. I don't need the motors, but the mounts to mount the dimmer wheel to the motor would be nice. If no mounts, that's fine too, I have a couple I can steal from other parts of mine.

Please message me if you've got some you're willing to part with, thanks!

I attempted to build a dimmer wheel, and it nearly worked. The problem is that I bought sheet metal that was too thick, so it was too heavy for the stepper motor to move it. And I had already spent at least 4 hours building it. It's possible to build one yourself, but don't make the mistake I did.

What material? I was thinking of using aluminum roof flashing.
I used steel, but only because it was cheaper. Aluminum would probably be better as it'd be lighter, you'd probably get slightly faster movements with it. I think that the factory one is aluminum.

The steel I used was 22GA. The hardest part about cutting it is that because it's so thin it tends to get bent while it's hanging over the edge of the sawhorse (or whatever else you clamp it to.) If you have a nice enough jigsaw, I'd suggest putting a thicker piece of metal below it while you're cutting to give it extra stability, and also have 2 sawhorses or whatever to clamp the metal to, that way you can cut between them as much as possible.

If you don't have a dimmer wheel at all I'd be happy to give you a scan of mine, that way you'd have something to go by.

One thing that will make it MUCH easier is marking the area to cut very well, pencil will not cut it, and duct tape will melt from the heat - maybe some high-temp paint? Something visible but that won't disappear when it gets hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back