WTB: Old Lighting Console

Andy Haefner

Looking to buy an old lighting console, I'm going to design my own controller for ETC Nomad and I'd like to have a case/features to work off of instead of fabricating from scratch. Preferably ETC, as many have a similar layout already to current consoles, however I'm open to anything.
My budget isn't very high, more so looking for somebody who has something broken or something they're willing to part with for cheap.

Thanks!

@microstar
At a bare minimum I'm looking for at least 10 faders, more is better, and it's gotta be around 30 inches wide (but it can be bigger) to accommodate everything I want to include. Also any level wheels are a plus. My options are really open, I just gotta see what I can make work.

If an old ETC Expression or Insight would work, the early versions of those pop up on eBay all the time for cheap. 24 faders on the Expression and 72 or 108 on the Insight (depending on model). Very durable chassis. Or, if you want more keys and 2 sets of faders, the old Purple Monster original ETC Obsession! eBay is your friend here, look for listings with Best Offer - those people will often take 10-25 percent less than what they're asking. Also look for something near you so you don't have to ship it.

If an old ETC Expression or Insight would work, the early versions of those pop up on eBay all the time for cheap. 24 faders on the Expression and 72 or 108 on the Insight (depending on model). Very durable chassis. Or, if you want more keys and 2 sets of faders, the old Purple Monster original ETC Obsession! eBay is your friend here, look for listings with Best Offer - those people will often take 10-25 percent less than what they're asking. Also look for something near you so you don't have to ship it.
I was looking at an Obsession 600! it would've been perfect, those old consoles fit the bill but they're a pain to ship. Had a quote for $400 just to ship the thing :(

And please keep us up to date on your progress, this looks like a great project.

I found a Colortran Innovator 24/48 on ebay, for parts. Only $40 plus shipping. Should work perfectly to keep the faders, and gut the right side of the console.
Let's hope the faders work. Not all end users cover their boards when not in use. In my area, lighting and sound boards often have liquids mysteriously spilled on / in them by unseen / unknown invisible persons of questionable parentage.
Think POSITIVE.
Test NEGATIVE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

If you're going to put in the work, let me suggest you look at the Express 24/48 through 72/144 boards. They have everything coming to a single connector at the back that plugs into the logic module, there are lots of them around, they're stupid cheap, on average, and for people who *like* faders, they have a whole lot of them. :)

[ Looks at eBay ]

Well, they're cheap compared to New. :)

I see a bunch right now sub-$500 and some sub-$250.
Thats exactly the thing, I expect to pay at least a few hundred dollars in parts/materials/a computer to stuff inside. So a shipped console at $140, where I might have to modify circuitry/create my own, is well worth it to me. I'm fully expecting to have to design circuitry to get the faders to talk to a microcontroller in the way I want them to anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back