Wybron CXI Scroller Issue

Hi All,

I'm having a serious issue with my Wybron CXI dual scrollers. They randomly start scrolling, it seems like they recalibrate on their own and reset as well. This happens during a live cue. I'm controlling them using an ETC IonXE and according to the console the correct data is being sent. I think it can be these things to start with:

-There is a problem with the power supply, and for some reason, when they move randomly on their own, it's because of a power issue which causes them to start their power-up behavior.
-Somehow, my ETC Paradigm system may be involved and that's messing up the data being sent.
-There's an issue with the DMX cable.

I have very limited time to solve this. If anyone else has had similar issues, please let me know and how you figured them out. The show opens tomorrow.

Thanks!

Check the power supply input and output voltage to be certain it is within specs. Rerun your DMX cables and be sure the run is terminated. Try readdressing / repatching at the board to see if that changes the behavior. Check the color scrolls to make sure they spin freely without too much tension.

Best of luck to you! Last second gremlins are frustrating when trying to get a show up and running.

~Dave

A couple of things-
1st - Does it only happen during one cue? If so is it possible the control channel is cross fading through the reset function? Are the scrollers being instructed to move during this cue? If so the draw on the PSU might be too high and the voltage drops enough to reset everything.
2nd - does it ever just happen when the system is setting in a cue and nothing is changing? This would point to a different issue.
3rd - is this a rep plot or a hang for the show? IE have there been changes to the system since the last time the gear worked correctly?

Scrollers moving/resetting is usually a power issue. You probably have too many scrollers on one power supply... or you have a bad cable. DMX issues will cause jitter, not full reset. Be it that CXI's are at least 15 years old, if not 20 or more, I bet your power supply is failing. There is so much to go wrong in a scroller system. Split the system in half and see what happens. Make sure you have enough power as well. I don't miss scrollers.

A couple of things-
1st - Does it only happen during one cue? If so is it possible the control channel is cross fading through the reset function? Are the scrollers being instructed to move during this cue? If so the draw on the PSU might be too high and the voltage drops enough to reset everything.
2nd - does it ever just happen when the system is setting in a cue and nothing is changing? This would point to a different issue.
3rd - is this a rep plot or a hang for the show? IE have there been changes to the system since the last time the gear worked correctly?
Thanks for the suggestions. They are part of the rep plot, they are not instructed to move, and the issue happens seemingly at random. In addition to what you've mentioned, I think the Paradigm system is sending commands to it, so I changed the console's priority to override the Paradigm and that seems to have fixed the problem, but this requires a deeper dive and I appreciate the suggestions.

Scrollers moving/resetting is usually a power issue. You probably have too many scrollers on one power supply... or you have a bad cable. DMX issues will cause jitter, not full reset. Be it that CXI's are at least 15 years old, if not 20 or more, I bet your power supply is failing. There is so much to go wrong in a scroller system. Split the system in half and see what happens. Make sure you have enough power as well. I don't miss scrollers.
The power supply may very well be the culprit since it is old as you have mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi All, following up. The issue appears to be resolved by changing the settings in the CEM on the dimmer rack. Since I have started working in this space, I didn't check that the configuration was correct since everything was working properly. The CXIs were using a circuit with a relay card, but the relay circuit was set to 'normal' in the CEM. I changed it to 'switched' and this appears to have fixed the problem, especially because the issue with the scrollers appears to be erratic behavior associated with power cycling. Thanks for your suggestions, this was a good learning process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back