Mixers/Consoles Yamaha 01v96 adat out

troyjo

I bought a new Yamaha 01v96 digital mixer a few days ago and have been trying hard to get it to do the primary thing I need, adat out to a Motu 896mk3.

A little background about the saga so far...

+ Using BNC for word clock on both pieces -- 01v says word clock is in sync (at least not complaining as it does when not in sync).

+ Using adat cables that are confirmed to work between 2 other pieces of adat gear.

+ Tried connecting it to another piece of Adat compatible hear -- an Aviom AV-M8, which receives Adat audio from the Motu 896mk3 fine.

+ Contacted Yamaha yesterday and have only received an auto-email so far.

+ Was able to get spdif digital audio to Motu from 01v, but that is only 2 channels.

+ Between the onboard adat and the expansion card added, I should be able to output 24 channels of adat from the 01v.

I've read the manuals -- repeatedly the sections related to this issue. Invested about 8 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue.

The mixer has a lot of awesome features, but this feature is probably the most important to me.

Questions:
1) Has anyone encountered problems similar and solved them?
2) Anyone specifically moved adat out of an 01v into a Motu 896mk3 (or similar sibling)?

Where did you buy it and have you tried contacting them? What are you patching to the ADAT outputs (default is Buses 1-8 to the standard 8 channel ADAT output and for both 1-8 and 9-16 on the expansion slot channels) and have you verified that you have signal going to the ADAT outputs? I believe that the MY8-AT and MY16-AT ADAT expansion cards operate only at 44.1kHz or 48kHz, what sampling rate are you using?

Last edited:
Also make sure the output channels are turned on. There's a number of places in the board where you can accidentally break the signal chain ;)

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying mine. I have 3 ADA8000's hooked up right now using the My-16AT expansion card ... taking 20 channels of input and 6 channels of output from the digital rack ... nothing plugged into the board except for Toslink and BNC cables (and a pair of midi cables -- I'm using the BCF2000 to widen the fader bank)

Unless you bought a used board that's been roughly handled, you probably just have a setting wrong somewhere ...

Interesting idea, can you only use 1 BCF2000 or can you add enough for control of all the additional channels?

Sharyn

Sharyn, according to the BCF manual it looks like you can daisy-chain as many as you want (using one of the merge-pass-thru modes). They did say that after several devices in chain the timing of the midi commands starts to fall apart, so there must be a practical limit. But we need only four of them (ha!) to get the full fader bank of 32 input and 16 master channels. But, its much, much cheaper than buying a second 01v96 :)

One thing I noticed tonight is that when I move a board fader with the BCF, even with the auto-select feature turned on, it won't focus my SM window on the channel being adjusted, like it does when I move the actual fader on the board. I presume because it's sending only a fader movement midi command, whereas moving the fader on the board send an intenal command to focus the screen. Bummer ... but maybe there's a way around this.

I bought a new Yamaha 01v96 digital mixer a few days ago and have been trying hard to get it to do the primary thing I need, adat out to a Motu 896mk3.

A little background about the saga so far...

+ Using BNC for word clock on both pieces -- 01v says word clock is in sync (at least not complaining as it does when not in sync).

+ Using adat cables that are confirmed to work between 2 other pieces of adat gear.

+ Tried connecting it to another piece of Adat compatible hear -- an Aviom AV-M8, which receives Adat audio from the Motu 896mk3 fine.

+ Contacted Yamaha yesterday and have only received an auto-email so far.

+ Was able to get spdif digital audio to Motu from 01v, but that is only 2 channels.

+ Between the onboard adat and the expansion card added, I should be able to output 24 channels of adat from the 01v.

I've read the manuals -- repeatedly the sections related to this issue. Invested about 8 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue.

The mixer has a lot of awesome features, but this feature is probably the most important to me.

Questions:
1) Has anyone encountered problems similar and solved them?
2) Anyone specifically moved adat out of an 01v into a Motu 896mk3 (or similar sibling)?

We've done similar here with our ls9-32. MY-16 card out to Motu then firewire to the computer. It worked until I tried to run Auditon to record and Studio manager. The computer locked up and crashed, but I'm assuming that was related to the computer running out of CPU power. Our Motu units won't talk with anything via ADAT or Firewire if they are not all operating at the same sampling frequency, otherwise our set up was plug and play (until I turned on SM)

If you are still having trouble with your O1V96 email me at [email protected], I can help you out... I use these consoles on a daily basis.

Most likely it has to do with patching and enabling your direct outs.

To patch the direct outs :
Press the Patch button on the console.
Go to the Direct Out page.
Press the Select button for the channel you want to change patching for and change the path to ADAT1 - ADAT8 or SLOT 1 - 16.

To enable the direct outs :
Press the View button twice.
Scroll to the assignment section where you see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, D, S
Select the D on all channels you want to enable direct outs on.

That should get you going. Let me know if this works for you or if you need any more help please feel free to email me.

Tucker Dragoo
Apple Valley Productions
www.applevalleypro.com

Thank you all for your replies -- I did eventually figure it out. I was focused on the direct outs, but did not realize that there were other assignments overriding the direct outs.

I eventually did a sanity check by restoring to factory defaults, reading the manual very closely and then success when I paid close attention to the section AppleValleyPro mentioned.

To answer a few of the other questions, I bought the mixer and other gear new -- it is the vcm version.

It has a mind boggling set of capabilities, which have allowed me to unrack several other pieces of gear that are unneeded now.

Btw, it is impressive how many thoughtful responses were given to my question. Thanks again!! :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back