Mixers/Consoles Yamaha CL Series, Dante Network, Setting a Static IP

RadioKnight

This question is pretty much directed to anyone who has experience with the Yamaha CL, or QL series mixing console, the Rio 1608-D or similar, Dante Controller, Remote R, CL Editor, StageMix, Dante Virtual Soundcard, and Dante networking over wired and wireless networks.

For the past few days, I've been trying to network all that mess together to one end: I want complete wireless control over my Yamaha CL1 and my three Rio 1608-D's, using either StageMix (when I'm on the stage using my iPad), or Dante Controller, CL Editor, and Remote R (when I'm sitting down in the house with my windows laptop).

I also use Dante Virtual Soundcard, which requires a wired Ethernet connection to the Dante network (I drop a cable down from the booth during tech week for that).

Now, all of this is connected to a 4-port wireless Belkin router which is shared with our Ion light board, so our LD can control the board from his Android. If I should keep all my sound traffic on a separate router, that's okay with me.

So far, I've been almost successful with getting every program to talk with every piece of hardware on my subnet by using static IP addresses for the Rio's, but I can't seem to set a static Dante IP for the CL1 itself. It seems to have three separate IP addresses, one for networked remote control, like StageMix, another for remote head amp control, and the last one for the actual Dante network interface.

I've tried using Dante Controller to set a static IP for the CL1, like I did with my Rio's, but it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone successfully set up a control scheme like I'm trying to do? Is my approach incorrect? I want all my software to be able to see all my devices over wi-fi, but also be able to seamlessly switch over to wired when I have to use Dante Virtual Soundcard and still have control over my hardware.

I can't speak to the specific setup, but can you share what troubleshooting steps you've taken on the network side of things? Does the device show activity on the indicators lights on the NICs (if any). Same on the router/switch? Can you ping the device (or any of the 3 IPs)?

I can't speak to the specific setup, but can you share what troubleshooting steps you've taken on the network side of things? Does the device show activity on the indicators lights on the NICs (if any). Same on the router/switch? Can you ping the device (or any of the 3 IPs)?

Yes, the NICs have activity, and the devices can be pinged. The trouble I'm having is that I can set static Dante IP's for all my devices except the Dante IP for the CL1. Anytime I try to set an IP for the CL1 in Dante Controller, the board ignores it, and sets its own IP. I'm trying to get all of my hardware on the same subnet.

I haven't personally worked with Dante Controller (though I suspect I will be on a job next week, so maybe I'll learn something!) - does it otherwise get an IP via DHCP, or another method? Does that work until you change it to Static?

I haven't personally worked with Dante Controller (though I suspect I will be on a job next week, so maybe I'll learn something!) - does it otherwise get an IP via DHCP, or another method? Does that work until you change it to Static?
If the the Dante network is only hooked up to other Dante devices, it will normally use the 'Auto IP' (not DHCP) function to set IP's. It can also use DHCP if there is a DHCP controller on the network. Dante will use one of these methods via dip switches on the front of some Dante devices, or through the Dante Controller software, where you can also set a static IP for each device.

I am a lighting guy who has to do sound also, take everything I say with a grain of sea salt...
We have a CL5, two computers using DVS, and three Tio boxes(ya I know, but they cost so much less), and one wifi for ipad remote and MonitorMix.

First I suggest that you use a separate wifi for lights/sound, others may say it doesnt matter(it may not)I just like having separate, one cant effect the other...

I set the IP on my CL, and let everything else pick its own Ip's, the tio boxes have a switch to address box 1-3.

I used dante controller to set up my original patch so the console can see them, and set up my two DVS (one for qlab playback, one for mainstage). I used static IPs for them, picked a number higher than the console, made sure subnet matched the console.

One important thing about dante controller that I have been told about, once you have your setup done, turn off controller dont leave it running, crazy/bad things can happen, patch changes and stuff like that...once you have console seeing your boxes, you should be able to do any of your re-patching from the console...

I hope I was of some help, i wish you luck... and please ask if you need more help, someone smarter than I should be around to help...

Sean...

Edit: small fixes...

I set the IP on my CL, and let everything else pick its own Ip's, the tio boxes have a switch to address box 1-3.

Okay, right there, the part where you set your CL's IP, are you talking about the two IP's (remote control and HA control) that can be set via the console's touchscreen, or are you talking about the Dante network IP for the board's Dante port? If I could just set a static Dante network IP for the CL1, my troubles would be over. I can do that easily enough with my three Rio's, but I can't seem to set the static IP I want for the CL1. It seems to ignore Dante Controller when I tell it to set one.

Okay, right there, the part where you set your CL's IP, are you talking about the two IP's (remote control and HA control) that can be set via the console's touchscreen, or are you talking about the Dante network IP for the board's Dante port? If I could just set a static Dante network IP for the CL1, my troubles would be over. I can do that easily enough with my three Rio's, but I can't seem to set the static IP I want for the CL1. It seems to ignore Dante Controller when I tell it to set one.

I don't understand why you need to use Static IP's for anything other than the CL1's Network. Let all of your Dante stuff auto-resolve over DHCP. The only thing a Static IP gains you in Dante world is like 20 seconds cut off boot-up with the Rio units.

If you're really dead-set on setting static IP addresses, fake it in the routers config. Pull everything's MAC address, set every device to DHCP, and then in the router's config set up DHCP hosting rules that tell the router what IP address to assign to each MAC address. No surprise Dante Controller doesn't work with the Yamaha stuff for IP -- you'll also find that if you change the Y00X-DEVICE labelling scheme by deleting the Y00X portion of the name that you won't be able to talk to the device over Dante Controller anymore. The way Dante Controller works is that after initial setup, you don't need it. If the CL1 resolves its IP on startup, then it may not want another one pushed to it down the road.

That being said, best practice is to have all of your Dante devices on 2 networks (Main + Primary) and then all of your Data transfer items on a 3rd network. I'll just use two physical managed switches (like the SG300) and VLAN it out. Otherwise I'll use 3 unmanaged switches that DON't have EEE built in (getting harder to find).

If you're trying to do it all over 1 network you should get a Switch - NOT a Router, let the Dante stuff auto-resolve to itself and then choose a different subnet for your Data transfer stuff. For wireless, make sure it's on the same subnet as your Data transfer stuff and then plug it into the switch. Your CL1 will indeed have TWO IP addresses, that need to be on their own subnets. Your Dante IP on one controller, and the Network IP on another. I don't know where you'd be getting a third from.

Your Computer will need to have two physical NIC's on it, one to do DVSC and one to do data transfer for CL Editor.

You don't need to see all of your devices over WiFi, you only need to see the console over WiFi. Dante, DVSC or not, doesn't work over WiFi so you'll never see your Dante-only devices over it. Let the console handle the Rio's.

What do you need R-Remote for? CL Editor has HA control...I only ever use R-Remote when I'm lugging a Ri8-D instead of an actual interface around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back