Yamaha MSR 400

iancl

Looking into Yamaha MSR400's, and noticed in the specs, that really, they run at 225+75 = 300 W

They state that the power consumption of the amplifier is 110W though.

Does anyone know what this means? I was fairly certain that the speaker would be 300/400 (whichever) watts RMS, and I hope Yamaha haven't gone back to peak power ratings. So does that mean that the power consumption is a resting/standby/idle rating? If so, why wouldn't they quote a maximum power consumption?

The power consumption refers to how much electricity the amplifier requires to provide the sound output. If that is correct, 110Watts, that means that it requires about 1 amp of current to work.

1000watts= 1000 volts * amps (1kw=1kva)

110 watts
----------- = amps
120 volts

.916 amps

Yeah, yeah, I know what it means electrically (although in Aus we're at 240v), but how can it have a consumption of 110W and an output of 300W.

Either the output isn't in RMS, or the consumption is at idle.

Anyone know?

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you.

I run 5 QSC PLX amplifiers, a (2) 3402, (2) 3002, and a 1602. These power my Clair Brothers rig, and all amps are pushed hard and turned all the way up.

All together this is well more than 15,000 watts and I can power them all on a standard 20amp outlet. Although I usually split the amps on two circuits, it is no problem to have them on one circuit.

There is a correlation between the watts required and the output watts, but it is different for each manufacturer and model.

No worries, it was just the early hours or the morning getting to me. :p

So you're saying that your speakers are putting out 15,000W, and consuming only 2,400W?

A general rule of thumb is you'll be consuming about an eighth as much power as stated in the manual. Those power consumption numbers are derived from a pure sine wave signal driven to clip. Music is far from a pure sine wave and has its peaks. It's important to make sure there is enough power for those peaks, if only for a short period of time. As long as you're not running stupid levels, it's easy to run a system like Stantonsound's off a single 20 amp circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back