Yamaha PM 2000

JimP0771

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Yamaha PM 2000 sound board? I use to use one when I did sound for a non-profit youth theater group near where I lived. They had this board as the main sound board for the theater building and we use to run the wireless microphones through it. That theater group in no longer doing shows and I have my own sound gear and most of there gear is no longer in existence and the Yamaha PM 2000 was left at the theater and I have no idea what has happened to this board. Last time I was in the theater which is now being run by other people for other types of events there was newer equipment and I was not able to find the PM 2000 so who knows its whereabouts. What I am wondering is if this board is more or less known as a recording studio board and not usually used for live sound events or in venues like theaters?

This is not really that big of deal if no one knows. I was just wondering.

Thanks

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Yamaha PM 2000 sound board? I use to use one when I did sound for a non-profit youth theater group near where I lived. They had this board as the main sound board for the theater building and we use to run the wireless microphones through it. That theater group in no longer doing shows and I have my own sound gear and most of there gear is no longer in existence and the Yamaha PM 2000 was left at the theater and I have no idea what has happened to this board. Last time I was in the theater which is now being run by other people for other types of events there was newer equipment and I was not able to find the PM 2000 so who knows its whereabouts. What I am wondering is if this board is more or less known as a recording studio board and not usually used for live sound events or in venues like theaters?

This is not really that big of deal if no one knows. I was just wondering.

Thanks
@JimP0771 Used AND LOVED, your PM2000, and its predecessor the PM1000 AND its offspring the PM3000 in Hamilton's 2183 seat dual balconied soft-seater back in the 1970's and '80's in ye old analogue daze shortly post the demise of our analogue Edison cylinder recorders and players.
The PM1000 series weren't bad for their era; the PM2000's were PHUQUING PHABULOUS but HEAVY if / when fitted with their full complement of transformers. The PM3000 series weighed appreciably less but had issues eventually resulting in Yamaha Canada replacing every rotary pot in our PM3000 40 or 48.
PM2000 series: In my mind; great, a trusty, delightful, reliable friend to use but HEAVY.
Perhaps @TimMc will chime in with his memories of your PM2000.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

PM-2000? Building fine hernias 12 ways since 1978, but only if you have to move them. I remember mostly liking the EQ sections, and once I figured out why you would want them, the matrices.

For a "damn, that's heavy, damn that's big" experience... the Soundcraft Europa II. FUBARed every truck pack because it was too long to go up a ramp and turn 90° in the truck; it had to transport "the long way". The resulting "width" and length didn't work with any standard truck pack case dimensions, either.

PM-2000? Building fine hernias 12 ways since 1978, but only if you have to move them. I remember mostly liking the EQ sections, and once I figured out why you would want them, the matrices.

For a "damn, that's heavy, damn that's big" experience... the Soundcraft Europa II. FUBARed every truck pack because it was too long to go up a ramp and turn 90° in the truck; it had to transport "the long way". The resulting "width" and length didn't work with any standard truck pack case dimensions, either.
You haven't pushed a DigiCo board lately??? Almost a ton!!!!

Ahh... you remind me of my first "pro" console, the PM1000... Learned to mix monitors on a 16 channel (4 Submasters + 2 Echo busses = 6 mixes). Now that was a desk that just felt right! Heavy as hell, though. And don't forget, 3-position switchable mids! It did teach me what a matrix was, what a revelation at the time!

I still have PM2000's and PM3000's... What do you wanna know???

One of the real things I really want to know is that. Is was the PM 2000 board mostly used in recording studio situations or in venues were live sound was needed? I know that theater I was Tech Director at had one of these for the longest of time. We used this system till we rented out the place and the amps were blown by an group using the theater that had a sound person that had no idea how to do sound. After that we used my personal sound system.

PM2000 was designed and intended for live sound, and rarely if ever used in a recording studio.

was the PM 2000 board mostly used in recording studio situations or in venues were live sound was needed?

According to the manual "The goal was nothing less than a total mixing system, one suitable for concert sound reinforcement, theatrical or broadcast production, and recording -- it would become known as the PM-2000 mixing console."

So obviously they felt it could do both, but according to @derekleffew
PM2000 was designed and intended for live sound, and rarely if ever used in a recording studio.

I'd combine their own documentation and Our Resident Curmudgeon's first hand experience and would say they built it to do both, but in practice it was better suited to live audio than to studio use.

Ahh... you remind me of my first "pro" console, the PM1000... Learned to mix monitors on a 16 channel (4 Submasters + 2 Echo busses = 6 mixes). Now that was a desk that just felt right! Heavy as hell, though. And don't forget, 3-position switchable mids! It did teach me what a matrix was, what a revelation at the time!
And cut/boost knobs that were"upside down" and the linear fader that was actually a rotary potentiometer with a spiral track.

A Really Long Time Ago, in a Previous Century, I mixed on a PM1000 in a club in Torrance, California. The desk looked bad but every feature, input or output that I used, worked (can't say the same for the PA, IIRC).

I remember on the PM 2000 the EQ nobs you would change the bottom one way and the top would rotate a different way. I had no idea what the matrix did so I never used that. I used very basic stuff on the board. Basically put wireless body mics through it and output to a snake that went to amps behind the state that went to speakers. From time to time I might have a hanging mic or a wired mic on the stage but that was it. I learned how to use the channel on and off buttons fast and the round buttons at the top to assign the channel which ever of the 8 red masters you wanted to use as the main outs. I really never used nothing fun on that board as I am not a professional sound technician just a person that learned hands on and knows the basics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back