Mixers/Consoles Yamaha YDP113 KB USB-MIDI to PC

Hi all and Happy New Year. A Pianist at our Children's Musial Theratre would liek to be able to save what she plays on her Yamaha YDP113 to a PC so we can burn PC's for the kid's to learn their songs to It looks like we can use a Yamaha UX16 USB MIDI Interface to connect the Yamaha Midi to a PC for about $ 50. There is also a generic cable for $4.95 on Amazon by HDE.

My question is would a program like Anvil Studio allow us to record her keyboard playing and burn CD's?

Anyone have any other ideas on how to accomplish for a reasonabl cost??

Thanks so much,

Glenn

MIDI is data, rather than audio, so I'm not sure that is what you want to record. You'd actually have to take the MIDI data from the keyboard and through a MIDI synth on the computer or a third party program concert that to an audio format, with results that may not be what you want. If your goal is to record the actual audio from the keyboard then you might go from the headphone output on the keyboard into an audio input on the computer. You might find the headphone output too 'hot' or too high a level for some inputs and might need to turn the headphone level on the keyboard down quite a bit or even add an inline pad or attenuator.

If this is not 'public domain' or original music you technically also start running into licensing issues when you record and distribute a performance, which is essentially what you are doing. I know it sounds ridiculous given the application but this is apparently not part of a direct educational setting or religious service, so there is no real differentiation of it from any other recording and distribution. If you want to be safe it's usually possible to contact the rights holder and request permission for such use, it may take some time but it is often granted provided there are no further copies made or sales involved.

Hi Brad and Happy New Year.

Thank you for explaining the difference between audio and MIDI data, I did not realize that. To actually record the audio I assume I will need of course a sound card and some PC software. Do you recommend any software. I have seen names such as Audacity and Mixcraft. Will they record the sound coming in to the computer into an MP3 or such format that can bu burned to a CD?

Also thanks for reminding me of the license issue. This is a teaching theater but when they do performances they buy license for the script ,the music etc. I think what the instructor wants to do is record her accompaniment as well to give to the kids.

Thanks again for your assistance!!

Glenn

Regarding software, I used Sony Acid Music Studio when I was PC. It usually runs around $50, and is quite powerful. It may be overkill for your application, but it can definitely come in handy once you need to start layering sound effects and making "radio" voices, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back