Yammi Digital and Wireless Access Point

Eboy87

Hey everyone. This goes along the lines of my Battle of the Bands thread that seems to be lost in the ether. I'm more than likely to be getting an LS9 for this event, and was planning on using the onboard GEQ's for my monitor EQ's. I've been given the ok by the sound comapny to use my laptop for Studio Manager, and I've been following the thread at PSW about using SM under Parallels.

I do have a question, and am a little intimidated by the LAB (not gonna lie). I only have an Apple Airport Express for internet in my room. I was hoping to have a wireless network for the show so that I can EQ the wedges on-stage. I think I remember Mr. Prescott over at the LAB using one of these AirPorts to control his Dolby Lake processors. Will they accomplish the same thing with a Yamaha board? For the record, I know next to nothing about networking, just enough to keep a home network running.

Thanks in advance everyone.

As long as you know how to change your computer's IP and Default Gateway, the LS9's IP and Default Gateway (hint: it's in one of the pages of the setup screen), and set your AirPort to the IP address of the Default Gateway, it should work. There are specific numbers that you want for all of these per the Yammie manual, but I can't remember what they are right now. I used a linksys box before, but it should work the same with an AirPort. If you don't know what I'm talking about, get a network geek friend to explain in detail.

Yeah, I understand about IP and MAC addresses. I like to think I know more than the average Joe, but I don't know what all applies with audio and networking. The company said that I'll have to change my IP address to the one in the console, which sort of threw me for a loop.

There are very good instructions on how to do this in one of the Yammie documents. I'll try to find which one later tonite.

Eh, you don't have to go searching. I plan on sitting down and reading the manual tonight, and reading the threads on the LAB. I just wanted to make sure the AirPort would work for what I want to use it for.

Thanks for the help regardless

Mr. Prescott over at the LAB using one of these AirPorts to control his Dolby Lake processors.
Mr. Prescott :lol:
He does in fact use the Airport Express WAP with multiple Dolby Lake processors.
Feel free to ask him about this by e-mail.
He also has a degree in Cisco networking from RPI.

I forgot something in my original post. Do I need to put a router or switch (never learned the difference) in-line between the AirPort and the LS9?

I forgot something in my original post. Do I need to put a router or switch (never learned the difference) in-line between the AirPort and the LS9?

Neither, you should be able to hook up the airport (which is a router) to the console, you will hook it up through the network ports, NOT the WAN/Modem port.

and...
A switch provides layer 2 communication, ie it routes frames over a single network via MAC address. A Router is a bit more of a computer, it routes IP addresses at layer 3, and can do more intensive actions to packets such as NAT (network address translation) and other fun things. A switch simply takes something in, looks where it has to go, and spits it out. A router takes something in, looks where it has to go in at larger pool, does whatever you tell it to to the packet, and sends it back out. In your world, a router provides your connection to the internet, a switch is essentially a splitter to connect multiple things to that router.

You'll find that your AirPort has both switching and routing inside it...

I think this contains the details about IP addresses and what not that you will need.

We seem to have all 11 DLPs at work out on gigs this weekend... they are a nice unit. Also nice is Eurocable's 12ch + 2 Cat5 core, but now I'm drifting off topic...

Thanks Chris and Footer. That link was what I spent most of last night looking for. But Chris, I still don't get what you're going on about in that last sentence. :) I guess I need to be an IT guy to be a sound man. This gig isn't until April, I just wanted to get my ducks in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back