YeagerLabs 1:6 Scale Theatre Lab

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
I had the great pleasure of talking to Kenton Yeager, who came up with the YeagerLabs 1 to 6 Scale Theatre Lab. As much as I tried, the video does not do his product justice, it's truly an amazing system. Enjoy!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check out YeagerLabs.com for more info and information on the grant writing process.

Very neat product and certainly useful in the classroom. Are the barrel's replaceable and reasonably analogous to common one's in use today? My first thought was wow with this it'd be a lot easier to show the difference between a FOH wash at medium distance using 36 degree barrels and long distance using 26 degree ones.

Absolutely. Those are actual Source 4 Mini's, which are available with 19°, 26°, 36°, and 50° barrels. (With standard MR16 lamps or LED modules)

Yeah the lab isn't rocket science it's all off the shelf stuff he's put together. You could do it yourself. However it would take a lot of time to do and you would no doubt struggle to keep it all so nicely to scale. So although my first reaction was, "I could do that" , I quickly shifted to add... "but it wouldn't be worth it when he's figured it all out for you."

The College I went to had one of these and it was great. Being able to take the director in there and show them the lighting in a tangible space was infinitely better than any research image. Also it was extremely helpful when my final show had to start off in black and white and transition to full color. I gave us the ability to test gel colors against costumes, makeup, and paint samples before getting into the space or before the whole set was painted, fabric was purchased, or make was designed so we could make adjustments before making major decisions and it really helped us pull of this amazing production.

a great purchase for any educational theater program.

I have never understood these things especially at the cost. You could easily build a nice light lab for the same amount.

As I said above, there's definitely a "I could build one of those" factor. But it's really well done, you would spend a lot of time hunting for all the right pieces to pull this off, and the convenience ads a lot of value. Comparing this to building a light lab, it's smaller, it's already to scale, and all of the other factors above. Time is so precious especially in educational theater. Are you going to cancel a show so the T.D. can build a light lab during the school year or are you going to pay the T.D. extra to come in over the summer and build it? In the end it's mostly a matter of do you want to spend a month building this thing or do you want to take one out of the box done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back