Yeah Right!

The weight of the bricks was not actually in question. But the physics debate was cool. BTW, I have a minor in physics from Towson University.

Let me just settle this now.

The answer to the debate is...you are all right, and wrong a little bit.

Surface area has something to do with it, as does mass (not weight).

Surface Gaps have nothing to do with it, if you were to cut grooves in a regular clay brick to make it "less smooth" it would fall at the same rate as it did before.

Changes in the surface of an object affect its surface area, natural rotation, and all sorts of things. It can def. affect the terminal velocity, but it really has nothing to do with acceleration. HOWEVER, if you did cut grooves in it you would alter the mass, changing the rate of acceleration by a little bit.

It is a bit more complicated that you all seem to make it. If you are up to a bit of a read, these articles pretty much explain it.

Equations of motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mass versus weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Terminal velocity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Surface area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, does anybody here have ideas for tripping bricks via DMX (preferably) or otherwise? Something Electronic, and idiot-proof and actor-proof.

Last edited:
Anyway, does anybody here have ideas for tripping bricks via DMX (preferably) or otherwise? Something Electronic, and idiot-proof and actor-proof.

E=M...... Oh Right we're off physics.
Hey run a search for Drop box I posted a drawing a while back. I know you could do a set up with a DMX decoder and a solenoid really easily. I don't have time right this moment to go into the whole thing, I'll try and post more in a bit. There's a great place for electronic kits and stuff at www.qkits.com last time I was there they had a DMX decoder / receiver for sale rather inexpensive. Try www.ledex.com for solenoids. they have all kinds for all aplications.

Depending on your fly system (and if you have a flyman for this show), I would suggest putting a cradle between two linesets. When one lineset goes out, it would dump the contents (faux bricks) of the cradle. Of course if your linesets are too far apart, this could cause problems. While I like the drop box idea, this could provide you with a less technical alternative.

This could also be interesting too, but not really helpful in this situation.

Equations for a falling body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking broadly: EVERYTHING on Wikipedia is WRONG!!!!

Please don't go getting mathmatical information off of a website that is policed by no one. Where any moron can edit/change/add/subtract so-called 'information'. Go to the library. Get a book. Make sure it's current. Then check with someone else who would know, just to be sure.

If Wikipedia turns out to be correct, then great. If not, at least you'll know better. Don't take any of that shite on face value.

Why am I bent ( yet again)? 'Cause next thing you know, people will be looking to Wikipedia to find out how to calculate bridles, loads, vectors and other gnarly stuff. Don't do it. Thanks.
:grin:

Please don't go getting mathmatical information off of a website that is policed by no one. Where any moron can edit/change/add/subtract so-called 'information'. Go to the library. Get a book. Make sure it's current. Then check with someone else who would know, just to be sure.

If Wikipedia turns out to be correct, then great. If not, at least you'll know better. Don't take any of that shite on face value.

Why am I bent ( yet again)? 'Cause next thing you know, people will be looking to Wikipedia to find out how to calculate bridles, loads, vectors and other gnarly stuff. Don't do it. Thanks.

Wikipedia articles have been proven to be not all that much less accurate than Encyclopedia Britannica. Not only that, but it is policed by it's users very heavily, whenever something is changed it posted and it's checked by other users and modified if it is wrong. Now that said, yes it is true it cannot be counted as a CREDIBLE source...HOWEVER on 99% of pages on Wikipedia you can go to the BOTTOM of the page and click links that will direct you TO credible sources which the article contents came from, which you can then cite. If the page on Wikipedia doesn't have any sources cited on the bottom then yes, I wouldn't trust anything on the page. I would also read the cited sources before using any of the information on a Wikipedia page for anything that would be life threatening like electricity or rigging.

I can cite all my examples from more credible sources if you like...I just picked wikipedia because they have information that I like to call "Quick n Dirty," meaning you can get the general overview of a topic.

As for the bricks dropping, I like the dropboxes, just because of multipurposality (i know thats not a word).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back