Yellow Jacket?

Has anyone ever heard of a lighting product called a Yellow Jacket? I have a friend that has a new job in Campus Life at a college and for a production they have coming, the tech contact from the talent is spec'ing "yellow jacktes" He has 15 of them on the quote. My friend feels like he's being jerked around with cost and equipment since he is not that well versed in lighting tech.

Google has turned up no results, so I am putting it out to CB.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out what they are. They are cable ramps. I feel stupid. :oops:

Last edited:
Yes, that's a brand of cable ramps.
proxy.php

No need to feel dumb, drummerboi316. It's the rider's/quote's fault for using a brand name when, in all likelihood, any number of products by another manufacturer would be perfectly adequate.

I don't recall ever seeing them itemized on a list (when GE Power/Showpower/etc. comes they bring hundreds) but $15/each for a one-day rental seems high to me. Yes, they're expensive to buy (one price: $210, Amazon.com: Yellow Jacket Cable Protector - 5 channel: Office Products) but they seemingly last forever, and require little to no maintenance.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing them itemized on a list (when GE Power/Showpower/etc. comes they bring hundreds) but $15/each for a one-day rental seems high to me. Yes, they're expensive to buy (one price: $210, Amazon.com: Yellow Jacket Cable Protector - 5 channel: Office Products) but they seemingly last forever, and require little to no maintenance.

That is exactly why he is thinking that he is getting shafted on the pricing. He said that the price of the rental magically jumped up $2500 after they committed to hire this company for the gig.

Post the entire quote here, with all private/specific information redacted, and we'll tell you if it's fair or not. Is this the only vendor in town, and/or can you rent from Philadelphia?

There's been a whole thread on this over on the LightNetwork - The LightNetwork

Seemingly few folks actually PURCHASE these things. They just seem to magically appear at venues and go away again !

The stage rental is ridiculous and the dimmer rack seems unnecessary.
3 drum risers?

5 sticks of pre-rig... how do you expect to turn on 60 par cans?

Your asking for a full show package for an outdoor venue (parking lot) for 10k including labor. Really, not that bad of a deal.

And as far as the 3 8x8s, I see that pretty regularly. Often Keys are on one rise, horns on another, and drums center. All of that is probably rider specific and the contract was signed before production was brought into the picture.

With quotes, you really can't nickel and dime. Get a quote from another vendor. If you are in Boston, there are plenty. If you are in western mass, I can give you at least 3 different companies. Don't ever look at an estimate by the line item, instead, look at it by the package all together. It looks like you are already getting a 30% discount, so each of those cable ramps are now costing 10 dollars. Sometimes they are thrown in, sometimes they are not.

The venue is indoors, and yes, the person in charge has the rider.

They can't get another quote because they are already in a contract with this company, and it sucks that the people above my friend in the chain of command made the decision to go with this company.

I understand that you should look at the quote as a package, I was just trying to get a gauge on pricing because my friend was concerned with being overcharged. But the decision is above him because the same company is in the exact same room the day before doing a presidents address or something along those lines.

The only thing that really jumped out at me was the combo of the PRT and the L-16s. I don't know how you are supposed to lift a 30" truss with a L-16. Also, the lifts are only rated for 500 lbs a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back