Yesterdays service call

BillESC

I received a call from a church that was having a problem with their sound system. The powered mixer would only work intermittently. I arrive to the church at the appointed time and follow the woman into the sanctuary where she powers up the system by plugging an IEC cable into the back of the mixer. The lights came on for a few seconds then blinked out.

I proceeded to the rear of the mixer and wiggled the IEC connector discovering it was a very loose connection. With needle nose plyers I carefully bent two of the mixers IEC prongs ever so slightly inward then plugged the power cord back in. Nice tight fit. Total time - 2 minutes - earns a one hour service call.

You know what? I didn't notice. Just saw what I thought the problem might be and fixed it.

I'll be installing an ALS, new podium mic and new wireless mic next month and will instruct them of proper usage should I discover a switch.

I have problems with those plugs all the time, not so much the connectors are loose but cheap connections inside the plug get sketchy. A quick and scientific treatment with some "calibrated" channel-lock pliers generally solves the problem, although I haven't felt the need to charge for those 15 seconds of work yet ;) Not sure if this is the same problem though, the equipment I work on is all medical-grade, so problems like loose connectors just don't happen.

After enough of that kind of treatment, the IEC cord should be replaced. The contacts inside may be pitted and burned. If left to get in bad enough condition, it is a fire hazard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back