(yet another) question about intelligent lighting

soundlight said:
But the 3-pin signal isn't dmx. I looked on the Leprecon website, and it says that the 3-pin is multiplex, and you only have DMX on the board if it is a 5-pin connector. Go for one of the really low-cost AMDJ mover boards. Hey, it ain't perfect, but it'll work.

Yes, the 3 pin signal is a multiplex signal. But if you look at the leprecon site, you'll see there is a LP-612 and 624 d/a or something, which does generate a dmx output. You can't use both the dmx and the mpx signal at the same time, but it is on there. The mpx path draws power directly from the data line and you don't use the wall wart when running mpx. The dmx output requires use of the wall wart.

Outputting from 5 pin and converting to 3 pin is no big deal. I do it all the time. I ran a school play with a 624 on dmx and just loaded it last night. Ran it out the board, converted to 3 pin, down the snake, out to the 3/5 pin adaptor again, into the dimmer rack controlling 12 Source 4 pars and 6 lekos. As the production company I was working for does this all the time for their leprocon and lightronics tree dimmers, their hazers, their rack dimmers, etc., they have a stock of these 3/5 pin looms that just ride with every cable trunk.

We could discuss the whole dmx standard, which I know is 5 pin connections only, but in the real world that is sometimes impractical or overkill. Running yet another line just to keep it 5 pin the whole way through when I had a perfectly good audio snake carrying 2 main outs, 2 mic inputs, and a clearcom line and 9 open channels was pointless.

check the actual units you may be able to flip the pan on one of them so they would be mirrored, letting you keep them on one set of channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back