Yet another stage flooring question.

BillConnerFASTC

Assuming by choice or necessity you paint scenery on stage and attach scenery to the floor, don't you expect that you will have to touch up the floor paint from time to time?

Assuming the stage is in a venue that routinely erects scenery then it should be treated like any other construction work space, with perhaps a little more consideration than the workshop for dust management. The floor is just another part of the set.

Recital halls or road houses with several shows per week are a different story.

Assuming by choice or necessity you paint scenery on stage and attach scenery to the floor, don't you expect that you will have to touch up the floor paint from time to time?
Depends are we talking Owner or Architect? Because the Design team, typically, seems to think places stay pristine after they walk away. :rolleyes:

Once way back when. Someone... tripped over a bucket of smelly muck on the stage floor that was a mix of whites and tans. Most of it got cleaned up but the next week it was obvious what didn’t and someone had to stay late with the TD and repaint the floor.

Reasons why stages get repainted.

We absolutely expect it. We've been in our new venue for 5 months and repainted the stage for the first time last week. Admittedly not all the need for repainting can be blamed on theatre usage considering how much construction was still ongoing when it was originally painted.

And we won't go into how much the architects would have benefited from reading some of the stage flooring discussion on here. At least they've largely rectified what was an incredibly bubbly floor at the start.

If you're a school or other venue coming from a plank stage covered in laquer, you'd think they'd expect at-the-least annual maintenance.

Depends are we talking Owner or Architect? Because the Design team, typically, seems to think places stay pristine after they walk away. :rolleyes:
The business manager of a private school who started the job during construction - not a part of design - thinks the gaffers tape peeling is a design or construction defect. They already painted scenery on stage and left thick drools if paint, and painted over it.

Reactions: Van
The business manager of a private school who started the job during construction - not a part of design - thinks the gaffers tape peeling is a design or construction defect. They already painted scenery on stage and left thick drools if paint, and painted over it.
Oy Vey!

Consulting for close to 40 years, floors remain a bugaboo. Black dye on old growth southern yellow pine was terrific but the supply of old growth sup ran out. Painted Masonite was ok but Masonite ran out. Since then, no perfect or risk free solution (if you're going to allow fasteners and painting scenery on stage ,)

So I'm running out.

This one still active. I learned today the installer sanded the hardboard. I never heard of that, and the manufacturer's rep seemed taken aback. Has anyone here sanded or purposely not sanded hardboard floor before painting it? I would think it would disturb the tempered surface which is what makes it so good with paint.

Uhhhh, sanding hardboard? Sure, if you're trying to re-invent the Paint Sponge.

I'm not sure how to write contract language that says "client silliness ain't my problem."

Find a source or data sheet that says don't sand hardboard. I haven't.
I'm sure the reason we can't find that is because it's good for hardboard sales... and that sanding thru the tempered surface does not change the specifications for the product. It changes the results to the end users, but nothing about the physical, structural properties of the product are affected by sanding.

According to my wood savvy friend, @TimMc is correct, sanding the hardboard doesn’t change the product and therefore there’s no reason to create a data sheet saying don’t sand it. Also, there’s no health concerns beyond dust, so TECHNICALLY there’s no need to manufacture any MSDS data sheet that might tell you to not sand.

My thought is that the manufacturer doesn’t think people plan on ever sanding it or painting it. They sell it as is assuming that the purchaser is going to use it correctly and the end user will never do anything to damage it, and when they do they’ll just buy new. Like @Van said, they tend to think things stay pristine.

A college venue replaced their stage with a new light blond surface because the president liked the look and the architect sold him on it. After band and orchestra rehearsals 4 or 5 days a week plus concerts, a few one-off touring shows, a dance show without marley of course since the new stage was to be shown off, a musical, an opera and other usage, the once shiny floor was dirty and dull and the janitor cleaned it on his regular rotation if nothing was in there with a mop and the same floor cleaner as was used on tile. At graduation, the president nearly exploded at the condition of the wood. After verbally undressing the staff at the venue, he called the architect to complain, and was told that the wood which was chosen was not meant for that kind of heavy use and why didn’t they inform him of all the wear and tear that stage deck would be subject to? They would have suggested something else.

Long story short, they don’t expect anyone to do things they didn’t think you’d do.

But how deep is tempering today and how does it affect paint bonding? I never sanded hardboard and it seemed to hold paint well. The flooring contractor sanded this hardboard and paint just peels off. It doesn't peel off the pit filler which I thought was not sanded, but don't know yet.

I’d assume each manufacturer has their own tempering process so you couldn’t make a blanket statement about depth. Plus, for example, if they treat it with linseed oil, the amount and quality of oil mixed with the type of fibers that make up the board would affect the end product. Was it kiln tempered or pressure treated or what? Is every run the same and are all your pieces from the same run? Personally, I’ve never sanded hardboard prior to painting, so I don’t know the answer. It’s a quite interesting question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back