Yet another stage flooring question.

I think this has more to do with the paint formulatin than it does with the hardboard, assuming you are using Class 4 or 5 hardboard, not the Class 0 junk sold at the big box stores. We specify a 2-part epoxy industrial floor paint. IF (and that's a big IF) you can keep everyone from painting and spilling paint on the floor (eg: Paint large items in the shop and use drop cloths under on-the-stage touch-ups; and use painted stage floor drops for scenes that need a 'not black' floor), then regular cleaning of the stage with a damp mop and clean water will keep it looking nice for a long time. When you finally have not done the thing I just said to not do, then a light scuffing of the epoxy finish on the floor will suffice before you paint it again with a 2-part epoxy industrial floor paint. IMHO Rosco tough Prime is NOT a good long-term solution, and when you just keep painting it over and over and over and over, you can't expect it to bond layer-to-layer well enough to hold against tape peel-offs.

IF (and that's a big IF) you can keep everyone from painting and spilling paint on the floor
Well, that ship sailed before the building was complete. I just don't see keeping the floor free of scenery paint and anchors feasible in all but a pure recital hall.

The hardboard on the pit filler - DPI - doesn't peel. The hardboard on the plyron - Stimson - peels easily, almost from scuffing and more with tape. I doubt it's the paint, which is working fine on a project on other side of town. It may be the hardboard doesn't meet spec. Trying to find a test for it.

Is it just one type of paint or many types? I’ve seen people use latex because it’s a pretty quick solution to fast touch-ups, but it’s obviously not a long term solution. Would temperature and climate affect the paint?

It's all new, PPG Breakthrough. 100% acyrlic, just like Rosco Tough Prime and it has performed very well on many stage, over 50 I've consulted on. And it performs well here on the DPI hardboard. So what in the prep, sanding, hardboard mix causes this one to fail?

That’s a head scratcher. I asked because in the dark ages, a set was being painted using old casein paint which required some heating and created some awful aromas... long story short, the set shop had to remain constant for the binder and pigment to dry the way the artist wanted it.

I’m beginning to wonder if the stage wasn’t treated with something beyond what the hardboard was cured with. Was it exposed to something that might cause the paint to not bind? Is there an oil that was used in the curing process? Did someone wax the floor? Wash with oil soap? Seal it with something extra?

EDIT: @RonHebbard pointed out that I’m communication inept. The set shop had to stay between 65 and 70 degrees F, which was hard in the middle of winter when you have old steam heat radiators and a few blowers. We couldn’t open the loading bay door because of the temperature outside, and running the exhaust fans drew too much cold air. Also, because of the steam heat, we had to be extra careful of the humidity because that would change how the paint dried if the air got too dry or too damp. The smell was awful, but eventually the scenery looked amazing, but it was pretty miserable inside for a while. My thoughts were that maybe there’s some environmental issue causing the paint to not adhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back