Your attention please!

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
"Drama School student dies while setting up for production"
A 26-year-old student at the Yale School of Drama was killed Sunday morning in an accident at the Yale Repertory Theatre, University officials said.
In honor of this individual I am asking you all to observe one minute of silence at 9 A.M. Eastern time.
Wherever you are please take this brief period to consider the risks we take everyday to "get on with the show."
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22506
I would also like to ask everyone to let all safety threads alone for 24 hours beginning at 9 AM.

It's 2am in Adelaide but I will observe the silence at 9am tomorrow Central Summer Time Australia.

How sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Yale family.

Thanks for sharing that Phil.

nothing could be said about this, that would change anything for that family, but apart from making us think about the poor family, we should also reflect on our jobs and make sure this never happens again, it can be IN MOST CASES prevented, this is a shocking accident, i don't want to go to far on only using it as a safety message i in no way mean it like that, i feel sorrow and that passing of this young boy mostly

Please don't take this to be insensitive, but I hate it when the media beat around the bush in telling what happened. From that article, the kid could have been unloading the truck and been the victim of a drive by shooting, or he could have had a heart attack. They obviously know what happened, why not say? This article hardly provides any insight into safety aside from "dying is bad for your health."

Now, after some searching I found this article from the New Haven Register, which actually gives details. It even sounds like they were working under safer conditions than most professionals do.

It is a tragic accident, but unfortunately it could have happened to anyone. My thoughts certainly go out to the family.

As for us, what can we take away from this? Sheet goods are heavy, don't let people drop them on your head? Chances are they were working no differently than any of us and someone lost their grip or footing, and this student happened to be in the wrong place.

They obviously know what happened, why not say?

They may "know" but a responsible media outlet needs to confirm details. Also, they need to make sure family has been notified. Most importantly, they always withhold some details to avoid tainting witness memories.

Hopefully the will fix the loading dock situation at this theatre. Every yalie I know HATES loading into this theatre, only access to the stage is through a standard double door. Everything has to be hand carried in. Yale is freakishly safe with everything they do, every show follows their handbook to the T. Many other theatres throughout the US follow Yale's guidelines for safety. It is very shocking to hear this coming out of Yale. It is just one more time of the "you can take every precaution possible but **** happens".

As with everyone else, my heart goes out to his family and the Yale community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back