Your first Memory Lighting Console

Yup. That console was great because of all the views it had. The go button was huge, but it was easy to find in the dark and surrounded by black raised plastic, so you couldn't glance over it and hit it by mistake. You really had to hit the think to make it go. Also loved how the console weighed a ton, but when you opened it up, nothing was inside it. We use to store back up show disks in it.

How about a Panache' Anyone every run one of those?

Oddly enough I have a prototype EDI board upstairs that Gordon donated to the theatre years ago. I'll go get a name off of it. It was actually a factory prototype but it served this company well for years and years. Funny, it's actually still a viable board as it has DMX and AMX and Analogue outputs, just non of the modern conveniences like back up etc.

Gee, there was the Kliegl something or other around 1977, just saw it didn't understand the concept or have a chance to use it, somewhere in the mid to late 1980's learned to program a EDI Troubadore III, A shame the house lights where also in the board. I learned blind editing in a hurry.

Yup. That console was great because of all the views it had. The go button was huge, but it was easy to find in the dark and surrounded by black raised plastic, so you couldn't glance over it and hit it by mistake. You really had to hit the think to make it go. Also loved how the console weighed a ton, but when you opened it up, nothing was inside it. We use to store back up show disks in it.
I actually really liked the ease of switching between tracking and cue only on it...made for great goodness.

I too have used an Encore. Love the green GO button of doom. Not a bad board for it's day.

Are you listening Steve Terry?

The people want a console with a Giant Go Button Of Doom! (True Congo has the color changing ball of death). But a BIG go button would be so much cooler.

What about a button of doom wing panel for Ion. Just a 12" square panel with a 6" wide red button so large it takes two hands to push. Maybe the button could be color changing so it turns red for a few seconds when you push it. Then yellow as the cue plays. Then Green as it waits for the next push. YES! :mrgreen:

How about if it comes with a mallet attached so you can whack it like an arcade game :D. And depending on how hard you hit it the big button changes to a different color. Green for soft, Yellow for mild, Amber for medium, Red for hard, and It will start to cycle different colors when you smash the crap out of it. Then you will never have to worry about a board op missing their cue, they will be patiently waiting with mallet in hand :D.

Well, I hate to say it, but I agree with gafftaper. Nothing (well, few things) was more satisfying than the Light Palette's 1" square GO button with the reassuringly loud "click" when pressed. And an equally-sized "Stop/Back" button just above! Encore's heritage can be traced back to the Light Palette, with the disruption of the Prestige Series (with lousy GO button) in the interim.

Original Century-Strand Light Palette (one never forgets one's first!:cry:)
proxy.php

Even the Lightpalette90 (the last good Strand console) featured the button.
proxy.php

An Encore, for those who don't know.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Ah Derek thank you for the pic of the Encore...man that was a fun board.

While we're on the subject of "of doom" buttons...

My undergrad had a sound console with a button labeled "Kill" that had a red light above it that flashed constantly unless pressed.

...My undergrad had a sound console with a button labeled "Kill" that had a red light above it that flashed constantly unless pressed.
Nope, still not as good as a "suck" knob--for Raymond's last day as a Sound Engineer.:grin:

EDIT: Found it!
RaymondsLastDay.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that was definitely a great Far Side.

My college has an old pink/beige (ew?) expression, in storage.

Well my first one would be a strand 200.

kinda of a side track question, i have started working with a Vector Orange Compulite control board now. Any one have an idea about how much one of those cost?

kinda of a side track question, i have started working with a Vector Orange Compulite control board now. Any one have an idea about how much one of those cost?
Looks like they run around 15K USD

Now, now, now. No bashing of current consoles allowed. Only defunct ones who can't defend themselves.:rolleyes:

Now, now, now. No bashing of current consoles allowed. Only defunct ones who can't defend themselves.:rolleyes:

AKA compulite animator, from what I've heard from folks who have used them, and you yourself seem to still hold a grudge against this piece of (relatively annoying and rather frustrating) history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back