Your Lighting Inventory

Is this place going to be somewhere you can visit? ...

I concur with this question. Where is this great museum of lighting history located? Will it be open to the public (or at least the fine members of ControlBooth?)

~Kirk

Re: What's your inventory?

I'm at a 592 seat school/community auditorium in Door County, Wisconsin. Here's what we currently have:

We have a Strand CD-80 rack (96 dimmers) w/ a ETC Express 24/48 board.

6 - Source 4, 19 deg.
30 - Source 4, 26 deg.
8 - Source 4, 36 deg.
10 - Source 4, 50 deg.
28 - Strand 6x12
12 - Strand 6x16
7 - Strand 6x22
3 - 360Q 6x9
19 - 360Q 6x12
9 - 360Q 6x16
20 - Altman 1KAF 6" Fresnel
11 - Altman 65Q 6" Fresnel
4 - Altman 3-circuit, 3-light Ground Cyc
4 - Altman 3-circuit, 3-light Sky Cyc
2 - Clay Paky StageScans
2 - Apollo Right Arms
24 - Apollo Smart Color Scrollers
1 - Diversitronics Strobe Light
1 - Elation black light

For the new budget year started this month, we just picked up 12 more fixtures:
6 - Source 4, 14 degree
6 - Source 4, 36 degree (have 14 total)

Hi, I'm new to control booth, but I love what I've seen so far. Our building is also new, just starting its 3rd year, so I am always looking for suggestions on how to make things work better. We have just over 500 seats for the main stage, and can fit about 100 in the black box. To run both of these spaces I have:

57 ETC Source Four units
2 Source Four 10° lenses
25 Source Four 19° lenses
25 Source Four 26° lenses
23 Source Four 36° lenses
8 Source Four 50° lenses
7 ETC Source Four Jr. Zooms
10 Altman Fresnel
23 Source Four PAR
18 Source Four PARNel
5 Selecon Aurora Cyc 3 wats
2 Altman 1000Q Follow spot
1 Altman Comet Follow Spot

We run the main stage on an ETC express 48/96 and the black box with an ETC express 24/48

I work in several theaters and for numerous production companies.....but I'll try to sum it up.

My High School - Holy Trinity High School I'm an LD
Fixtures:
25 Source Fours (Assorted lenses - 19, 26, 36, and 50)
12 Source Four PARs (Assorted lenses)
12 Source Four PARNELLs
10 Altman 360Q 6X9s
8 6' 4cir R40 Strips
2 Martin Mac 250s
4 Robe ColorSpot 250s
4 Altman PAR 64s

Control/Dimming:
1 Strand CD80 (48 x 2.4k) dimmer rack (main dimmer rack)
4 Strand S21 (6 x 1.2k) dimmer racks (FOH)
1 ETC Express 72/144

My Public High School - East Islip High School I'm the Resident LD
Fixtures:
30 Source Fours 36º
4 Source Four
8 Source Four 19º
10 Source Four WFL PARs
20 6' 5cir R40 Strips
5 Altman Sky Cyc (2 Cell)

Control/Dimming:
1 ETC Sensor (192 dimmers) dimmer rack
1 ETC 72/144

Community Theater - CM Performing Arts Center I'm an LD
Fixtures:
18 Source Four 26º
5 Source Four 36º
4 Source Four 50º
6 Source Four WFL PARs
35 Altman 360Q 6X9s
20 Altman PAR 64s
12 6" Fresnels
4 6' 3cir R40 Strips
6 Altman Sky Cycs (3 cir)
4 7.5" Chroma Q Broadway Color Scrollers
2 Elation PowerSpot 250s

Control/Dimming:
10 NSI DDS 9800 (8 x 2.4k) dimmer packs (80 dimmers total)
1 ETC Express 250

TBA. Many know where it is.... Heck, at this point, 70' of pipe with two end caps of old light displays and a few in the front lobby. This and as of tonight and a garage more full of stuff to pep for it, trade in getting more and at work another shelf worth of stash of gear to go thru yet in hanging or trading away for other gear.

This much less now that it's hung... it's very much over loaded and another pipe is probably necessary. And given it's a "Entertainment" company... beyond other qestions was.. Where's the Pal's and other fixtures on the hang? Screw moving lights, they are in building #2... they want a museum, they can work on one of their own. This is Building #3 and we do conventional fixtures. At the moment, while also working on acquiring other antiques' I'm also working with the executives in buying up what we can for Mole Richardson Studio Fresnels. Really good investment for the entertainment industry by way of prop fixture that can be converted to LED or even fill in as per a normal Fresnel, this even if larger than the Altman or Bambino types normally used. Concept is beyond expanding our prop light base... getting others to invest in our museumm. While decent now... Long way to go before it’s really good and proper. Say 50x fixtures now as a guess... needs a lot more before a good museum.

Hung now as a start, at this point I'm adding to it - four bar of Kliegl box spots in attempting to make something of a antique lamp bar is feasible, seeing if the 250w/120v -MR-16 version of a Grand Stage Lighting radial Leko is viable as a concept, and I only pulled down half the old gear bone yard from the shop including many brown radial and axial fixtures yet to hang - this before I get to another shelf of 1K -6/30's and zooms, really old black lights and some scene machines.

This all in addition to what I can trade for in some extra 360Q's of what ever beam type wished for I'm creating that are surplus. Many were once brown, than blue and now black. Thinking the 6x9 version of the painted ones would be most useful for trade once serviced. Got lots of lens trains in storage, but for now these 6x9 seem the most viable given I sold off my last 4.5x6 lens train a few years ago. Should be able to get something in trade at least for these at least in building further the museum.

Visit now... only starting... It is a start that's tracked back to 1916 in type of fixture for more than one at this point and most so far that are 1920's thru 1930's. Most of it is my own collection at this point until at least I balance it out with work's stock of early Altman Leko types once prepped for use/storage. All in the museum are ready to go out on a show also as concept also. Antique but also safe and ready to go.

Wait a year or more... I’ll get the signs up and history pages done and no doubt moving lights will also get their act together in hanging their own antiques. This plus the front office will also start investing in old gear by way of buying and or seeking out trades for it. Someone mentioned today a Phillisphere’ Believe that’s it’s name. Remember that name in having a contact for one... a few months ago and me now searching for one for the collection.

Lots more work to do in making it a museum - gotta create labels and info and collect a lot more gear. Ok... Say I have a 1936 Leko... but it’s from Strand by way of a #73 and I had to invent it’s gizzards. Strand obviously only bought out the name of “Leko” but didn’t invent the Leko. Best I have so far is some c.1948 Century Lekolights otherwise. This amongst other stuff to collect up.

Also, gotta trade for another 1340 series 3.5K Kliegl dual ended Leko, or replace one of them in my living room with a Altman 3.5Q, this antique fixture currently in use amongst other fixtures. The 1340 series even if only invented in 1971 was really / really important for development of smaller Leko’s. Still have some fixtures at home at this point not replaced. Not as museum worthy the Mole Richardson type lights as they still make them, but I think a non-Altman or Altman #99 Inkie is still in stock also. That’s the classic Inkie, but the original single ended type and not the more modern and safe dual contact type. Changed but easy enough to bring back to original, once I figure out what one it was. Lots more to collect up before a proper museum.

As for access to the museum... let it get done before it’s any way viewed. A concept... a running and really busy shop with who knows how many shows are hung and being programmed in building #4, what’s worked on in Building #5 or what is in the new building #6 when it’s done. Talking like a city = real city block worth of estate that was once the Turner Gas Works factory in creating Turner Tourches on site since the 1880's as per a welding type of thing. During the War, it was also housed a POW camp. Very historic visit... This plus the home office for the largest privately owned trucking fleet in America at least... Good place to visit on tour.

Gonna take some time to do though. At this point the cannons from the AC/DC Hells Bells tour or the bell are somewhere about and not easily to find while on a tour. Sure the Ozzy set is easy to see, etc... but for a tour... gonna take some time to gear up for museum and good tour. Working on it though as also good for business. Took three requests for my antiques before the final one got antique fixtures on a show. Once they got to the shop they are now there and hung. Brought more to the shop, starting to clean out my secret storage further in expanding it. Before this, the Century Leko 8x10 #1560 Lekos... put them into storage with the rest in storage at the shop, it took three years to find them after that. These fixtures have been out on just as many shows for the company at this point as the MoleEllipsols also in storage. Someone asked today where was I going to hang them? Don’t know... really don’t know but good point in also a 2Kw fixture. Idea I currently have is above the 1560 platform in rigging them above it as also crossed cannons.

Boat anchors... spent many hours researching every fixture and given this research... not boat anchor. At this point only a few I’m not sure of but I get closer every day.

This say collector for a museum at this point I find myself as. Who will have thunk it - this while not busy inventing new lighting fixtures. Take a MR-11 lamp, a door knob, a flat plate and a mixing cup plus some work. What do you have? A new flush mounted ball swivel lighting fixture. Love that kind of stuff too.

Told I will never be fired... thinking I would never quit more so. Master Carpenter and Designer by trade.. Fell rear backwards into my current career. With it, it is a career that I could retire in. Hopefully given it’s only a 501K type retirement company, the company will buy up my antique lights, books and tool box in helping provide for my wife as a supplement. What’s a museum without a research library - especially given it’s in close proximity to a college. I have the books also... Any such thing is also either retirement policy in realistic investment, or at least good for my wife in what I invested in once gone.

Museum... just getting started, wait a year or two, at least let those from the front office (air conditioned as it were), get to learn what’s hanging in labels printed up sufficient that they in leaving the air conditioning in giving the tour are able to say what’s what - modern lighting or antique... This much less have a clue in giving the tour of why a 1916-1922 Kligl #1N is important by way of concept in being better than a bunch light but super seeded by that of a spun reflector, than the Alzark reflector in general thus the more modern scoop. While kind of fun to stipple paint one’s Olivette in fresh white ceramic flat paint, say every few years.... obsolete now given the common scoop. This much less got replaced by lensed fixtures right near it’s invention. In 1916, mostly you had wash this was one of, or lensed spot, that was it for all intensive purposes. Was no Fresnels or PAR’s back than. Foot lights
Stand Lights, a few electrics and if lucky a pipe in the front of house. This if really Modern Nilly.

Some see boat anchor... I see something from 1916 that I brought back to factory specification and would work as per design now. Lighting museum and up to current specification. Found this fixture in a closet of the lighting booth to a local community theater. Traded two Altman 10" scoops for it. Well worth it for both of us though given it was in original condition... probably more worth it for the end user than me, given my scoops were ready to go. Still though, I had my eye on it. Didn’t really know what it was before I reseached it, but I got it and after re-painting it’s reflector... I sent a dire warning out to anyone that would touch that very flat white ceramic reflector with dirty hands. This in me having to touch it up already. Such a reflector is like a Quartz lamp - not even imagined yet... don’t touch the ceramic flat white reflector.

Also saw some box spots at this community theater. They were down in the coves of the theatre and even missing parts. Don’t know how this community theater got such gear for sure - 1927 local theater or the local college theatre in older yet for donation, but they were rusting away and relic’s just kind of in storage. This with other Fresnels’s especially and some Lekos of varying age... was fair trade in me re-wiring all, trading out my 3.5Q5's, 65Q’s and even a dimmer pack for their needs for a sampling of the antiques. Brow beat one of my mentors in the industry for one of his Major PC fixtures - this even if cut down in length in the late 60's for a wider focus. It dates to 1926 still. By happenstance, was given a b-day gift of a 1916 fixture as with buying a box spot out of a antiques shop for like $20.00.

Amongst trades, stuff I E-Bayed, or stuff I got otherwise... Amassed collection. Work in adding to it now we will out grow a 18" o.c. pipe 70' long worth of fixtures plus the end caps for it. That’s conventional fixtures. Should the owner and management staff get a spark of interest... could become quite a collection of all types of fixture. Give it two years.... gonna grow and will be worth a visit I think both for modern tech - the latest in lights, what’s in the big room programming now for tour, and for what a collective of people can get. Thats’s my goal.

After that... Kind of a walk in without asking and get the tour type of thing. Literally a city block long or more in property owned. Just have to gear up more for the public and get more so as to make it a proper museum. This weekends project of every type of Altman Leko 360 series will help, but only add to it in the end.

Cleaning out the bone yard of fixtures at work. Some date back to when the company first opened, others were acquired over the years and put away in leaky storage containers. Some of them are rusted solid by way of past owners and long storage. Cigarette smoke, fog in the atmosphere, than rusting away for at least ten years in a storage trailer. Will take a lot of work to make them serviceable again. Others are the original fixtures for the company and what’s left over from the 360Q era. Some are Altman brown, others, perhaps were, than painted blue - it was a company thing way back when, than became black over it. Others are Altman black and still origional. This amongst other fixtures I'm yet to get to.

Amongst the remains are four radial Altman Lekos and three brown axial Lekos. This and enough parts to make up 6.1/2 black 360Q fixtures with lots of spare lens trains, lenses and other parts. Literally boxes of spare parts for the old Altmans, this especially lens trains and lenses. Blue verses green lenses even. Unfortunately no 4.5x6 lens trains - had one but think I sold it off at one point.

Given spare lenses and the brown radial Lekos’ were 6x9 and the axial also brown ones were 6x16, only needed to re-paint two 6x12 lens trains in the end with exchanges. Given the 6x22 lens train barrels are barrel mount, thinking I’ll leave them as the black series. Don’t think the radial 360 series was invented yet for a 6x22 anyway and know that given it’s clutch cams, such lense trains were not of the older series.. Some past experience with the 6x22... don’t think it was before the black when the barrel got the yoke mounts instead of dual clutch plates on the pine-apple, this even with the clutch cam being a more black series type of thing. In other words... I can make the above brown fixtures 6x9, 6x12, and 6x16. The 6x22 will also hang but in the black series. Good to have so many fixtures and spare lens trains.... might even buy amongst other parts needed a 4.5x6 lens train and barrel. This for the museum.
The spare at this point 6x9 Radial Brown Leko and extra black Leko after re-lamping than will become surpus parts along with the rest of the lens trains an lenses. This in trade for other fixtures. At least six or more Altman 1K 6-30's or zooms also in this ability to trade inventory once examples get hung. Got a few sources for older Leko’s already that would be interested in trading for the newer gear he can use. This and once I inventory... might be able to get the rest of the gear out the door in funding buying more gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info in confirming a minds' eye type of resistance to doing so for historic reasons. Will look into the other serach and further do research.

I thought, we have several new users in high school, so lets bring this back.

At the Bing Crosby Theater (where I have done most of my shows) they have:
Control: ETC EXPRESS 48/96

Front of House: 16-1000 watt Altman 12 degree Lekos

Side Fill: 8-500 watt Fresnels

Downstage: 6-575 watt 26 degree Source Fours; 6-750 watt Altman 25-50 Zooms

Electrics: 12-1000 watt medium flood Par 64s; 8-500 watt 6" Fresnels; 6-1000watt Scoops; 3-2000 watt Cyc lights. Additional 12-750 watt Altman 25-50 Zooms available.

Followspots: 2-Strong Trouper 1200.

I like it. They have 87 dimmers and the houselight control is on a 10v analog control. I am quite confused about those, because the EDI dimmers in the crossover have modules labeled HOUSELIGHTS but in the spot booth there are breakers labeled "house chandelier front center" (or other location).

At another space that I will be in later this month, (the KROC Center CDA) they have:
• 192 dimmers I can find on the plot
• An ETC Ion
• 3 electrics, 2 catwalks, and 4 ladders on either side
• S4s-26°, 36°, 50°, and 30-50° zooms
• 6" Fresnels
• Pars
• 3 cell Cycs, and single cell Cycs
• 2 Vari-light 1Ks
Unison system controlling houselights and worklights

We seat 750

Fixtures:
x10 10 Degree S4
x20 26 Degree S4
x20 S4 PAR EA
x8 S4 25-50 Zoom
x8 S4 15-30 Zoom
About 15 Altman 360s or various ages and sizes. (I don't know exact number, I keep finding more and more)
x10 6" Altman 360Q
x4 Elation Opti RGB LED
x10 scoops, if they count
x15 Altman 1KL (I don't remember the exact #s of each beam angle, but we have them in 12, 20 and 30. They barely function.
x2 Altman Comet Follow Spot (with several boomerangs and an iris missing)

Accessories
x6 Apollo Smart Color Scrollers
x2 Apollo Smart Move DMX Gobo Rotators
x2 (Brand new!) Rosco I-Cue Intelligent Mirrors

Control:
Strand Palette VL64 (No idea how we justified getting this)
backup: ETC EXpress 72/144

300 Seat Proscenium/100 Seat Black Box-

Conventional:
-124@ Source 4 Bodies
-29@ 19 deg. Source 4 Barrel
-39@ 26 deg. Source 4 Barrel
-41@ 36 deg. Source 4 Barrel
-27@ 50 deg. Source 4 Barrel
-10@ 36 deg. Source 4 jr.
-2@ 90 deg. Selcon Pacific
-23@ Altman 1KAF 6" Fresnel
-35@ Source 4 PAR w/ full lens set
-4@ 8' MR-16 Zip Strip
-6@ Altman 3-cell Sky Cyc

Intelligent:
-3@ HES x.Spot 4:1
-2@ HES x.Spot 2:1
-17@ Wybron CXI Scroller

Control:
-1@ ETC Ion 1000(pending)
-1@ ETC Expression 3 800
-1@ ETC Express 48/96

Dimming:
-192@ ETC Sensor for Proscenium Space
-96@ ETC Sensor for Black Box

Last edited:
Not much, and it's currently in shambles. I'm a freshman here, so i'm working on getting everything working again.

• Northwest Rankin High School
    • Stage
      • 2 Strips of 28
      • 1 Strip of 18 spread lights (can't think of name of them)
      • 22? Fresnels that need focusing
    • House
      • 9 sections of 9 lights each. Incandacant.(sp) (On dimmer)
      • 9 sections of 6 lights each. Florescent.
    • Light Control

Not all that much, and i can't be sure of brands or anything. Havne't had much time on the ladder. Most of what i do is on the ground. I only go up if someone breaks something in the air and it screws up what i do down here. :)

Lets see what we've got here...

850 seat "Main Stage"
-------------------------
*38-S4 Jr Zooms
*14-26˚ S4's
*16-36˚ S4's
*18-S4 Zooms
*12- 6*12 360Q's
*20- 6*9 360Q's
*24- S4 Pars- Various Lenses
*12- S4 ParNels
*20 - Altman 6" Fres.
*8 - Strand 8" Fres(being replaced with S4 Parnels...)
*5 -COLORado Batten 72 Tour's
*6 -11" Vivid-R
*12 SeaChangers
*24 ForeRunners
*6 Rosco I-Cues
*4 - Clay Paky Alpha Wash 575's
*4 - Clay Paky Alpha Spot 575's
**Control/Dimming**
*2 ETC Sensor Racks (96 Dim. each)
*ETC Ion w/ 2x20 wing
*(ETC Express 72-144 kept, just in case)

200ish Seat BlackBox
------------------------
*36 S4jr. zooms
*10 S4 36˚
*8- 26˚ S4's
*18- S4 pars
*12- ParNels
*12- Altman 6" Fres.
*6- 11" Vivid-R
*4- Mac 250 Entours
*4- Rosco Icues
*4 SeaChangers
*16 ForeRunners
**Control/Dimming**
ETC Ion w/2x10 wing
Sensor dimmers(144)

Multi-Purpose Room(Ballroomish, can be cleared for a large space, also used for concerts of local bands, just set up with about 100 folding chairs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*10 S4 Zooms
*14 S4 ParNels
*3 -COLORado Batten 72 Tour's
*24- COLORado Tour 1's
*8- Mac 250 Entours
*4- Mac 250 Washes
*4- Mac 301
*12 ForeRunners
*HES Hog3PC with Programming+Playback wings

My 90 seat community theatre off the top of my head:

14x Source 4's (no degree angles as of now, will check later)

26x Altman PAR64's

3x Altman 65Q Fresnels

2x Applied Electronics 12x2.4k dimmers

1x really old 6ch dimmer

1x 4ch DJ dimmer (for weird hang positions)

ETC Express 125

4x Wybron Coloram

4x Studio Spot 575

1x Gobo Rotator

3x L&R MR16 Cyc Units

With only 90 seats I imagine the space to be rather small, do you use the Studio Spot to melt actors that anger you?

Venice High School Theater

House Capacity: 600
Other Equipment:
We currently are using an ETC Express board, but we also have ED Minstrel Plus used when our theater was originally built. Our house lights are dimmed with a ED D series 303 dimmer control. We also have 1 SubCommander station. In addition to several ladders, we have a Genie AWP lift. Our theater is actually going to replaced with a larger theater in our new high school. We are still unsure if the fixture/ dimmers are going to be transfered, or if they will also be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
With only 90 seats I imagine the space to be rather small, do you use the Studio Spot to melt actors that anger you?

It is very small but the system allows for a lot which really makes it worth it and yes, it is quite fun to see some people cringe in those spots. they're dying though. over 10 years old.

I am not sure of the exact figures but we have enough S4s (each S4 body has its own 19, 26, 36 and 50 degree barrels), S4 PARs and PARnels to light a double hung proscenium and four point black box. Probably about 200 instruments in the proscenium and just a little less in the black box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back