Control/Dimming Your opinion on low end light consoles one last time

I've also thought the 200 to be a very useful sub-3K console; unfortunately, I've never driven one.

I may just have to get one, both as a GMOT board and to demo the thing. I mean, it's dirt cheap as consoles go, has a patch, has a screen dealie, and is pretty compact. Maybe I'll get myself one for my birthday.

It also has 2 pages of subs. I cannot remember if you can have subs on both top and bottom rows of faders, but i had the one i was using setup to have channels 1-12 on top and subs 1-12 on faders 13-24 on bottom. I like how you do not have to rely on using a monitor to program the console.

IMHO, I really like the Lightronics TL2448. Yes it is a 2 scene preset in normal mode, or 48 channel in wide more. BUT it does have many many pages of submasters (50pages & 12 submasters and it could cue stack & "go". But one nifty little feature that I really enjoyed was the dedicate slider to DMX channel 99 to use for house lights. Granted, I would not run many intelligent lights with it. All to be had under $1800 (did I mention you can get it wireless).

I lucked into a rental stock NSI MC7524, a bit more basic, but still a work horse. Again, a 2 scene preset, but with cue stacking and basic features, including using the Y as a submaster. I only bought it 'cause I picked it up for under 300 including shipping.

Now for computer control, I use the Lightjockey 2 (slightly older single universe). The software was a bit cumbersome at first, and you really need a laptop with at least 1Ghz crunch-power to wrok well, but it gets the job done.

All options under 3K, even if you have to buy a PC.

Now, if you want to spend the mullah, go for the Grand MA console. The school my wife works uses one. But then again, they are lucky to have this huge mulit-million dollar Perf Arts space. 200+ circuits of dim, plus all the non-dims and com ports across 4 universes. Talk about uber sweet.

To me, 2 scene presets have their time and place, esepcially in the community realms where people are only begining to get their feet wet.

Just my humble opinion.

Jon

As a Lighting Designer for a play, or even as an operator, wouldn't you rather teach someone the basics of a memory board and how to push GO, and then walk away once the show opens knowing the cues will be correct every night? Or depend on someone setting levels on a two-scene preset desk for every cue?

Personally, I find consoles with a keypad and a monitor easier to learn and understand than lesser board where one presses and holds obscure keys to record a look, and editing a look is near impossible. One usually must start over from scratch. Death to the Two-Scene Preset, say I! Viva la GAM Access and MicroVision!

Viva la GAM Access and MicroVision!

MicrovisionFX maybe? :)

And yes, I agree, as an LD I much prefer memory boards, so the op just has to hit Go (and in return get a banana). Offline editors are great too, where you can make cueing notes and then edit the show file at home.

Unfortunately not many real memory boards, current offerings, under 3K new, and I think I'd rather have a good manual board than, say, a Smartfade. Just me though, the Crazy Analog Guy.

I'd like to toss in the Frog console by Zero88, last I checked they fell under the $3k mark). The caveat is that I both like and hate it. I like it because of the options for patch and moving light control (built in effects engines even). It can be a two scene preset or a memory console. It allows flexibility in changing timing during a cue. It offers offline editing. However, I think the keystrokes for programming are backwards and I ended up programming over cues during edit (often).

I dislike Lightronics consoles. At least they are now making their faders with metal posts (don't know how many of the old plastic ones I broke). I often had bad crossover noise between channels causing ghosting or flickering in neighboring channels. Babylon I tell you!

Last edited:
How about the Avolites Pearl Tiger?

I have been using this console for some my recent events and it works fine.

The console a powerful, streamlined 10 roller playback version of Avo’s famous and most popular ’live’ lighting console.
It offers everything the LD, programmer or operator needs for quick and easy programming of small to medium sized shows …. with all the power, ease of use and versatility of a full sized Pearl.
The console is equally suited for small theatres, conferences, schools & colleges, small to medium scale productions or production companies, tours, venues and nightclubs.
It’s small footprint, powerful functionality, familiar operating system, together with the ability to carry it under your arm make it the ideal choice for jobs having a quick setup limited rehearsal time and where the operator needs to be in full control for last minute changes.
The console is fully show compatible with Pearl 2004, 2008 and Pearl Expert and shows can effortlessly be loaded and swapped between these consoles.

Here are some specifications in the Pearl Tiger.

All the power of an Avolites Pearl at an irresistible price
Offers all the Pearl features including Theatre Playback, timecode, MIDI triggers, etc
2,048 channels to 240 moving lights on 4 isolated DMX outputs
10 playback submasters, expandable to 15 with external playback wing
Full personality library in the console, with free updates on website
Can Save multiple shows instantly to internal USB flash disk or external USB memory stick
Can Load or Save any Pearl show
Supplied with colour LCD VGA screen
Tiger footprint – 67cm by 48cm by 14cm or 30cm with VGA screen
Tiger weight – 13 Kg
No additional training required for Pearl users

Last edited:
I didn't think the Pearl was a sub $3k console

Users who are viewing this thread

Back