Your opinions of Cordless Drill-Drivers

FWIW, I own the Makita 14.4 I purchased right when they came out, and now the new 18v... Both rock--and I love the feel and gearing on the 18v. The Dewalts my friends have I have used in the past have had problems--gears slip, batteries were good but the chucks sucked and slipped--but do not on the Makita's. While I like teh feel of the grip on teh Dewalts--I prefer the reliability I have experienced with the Makita's over the DeWalts. Thats my experiences...

-wolf

I have a Ryobi 14.4 volt. has a nice balance. I have for years resisted going to 18 volt. They are good for carpenters who may be running screws through 2 bys but 14.4 is plenty of power for most theatrical applications. I have used 24 volts, but at this point, get out the corded and the extension cord, unless you're interested in building up your forearms and wrists.

Started out with the original Makitas, 20 years ago, but find the newer battery designs superior. Actually remember driving screws with a Yankee, if any of the old-timers remember that.

Oh’ yea! Tanks for the memories... Had my own origional Makita 9.6v HD model, it’s still coming to mind as one of the best cordless tools ever produced, and it died the most glorious of deaths as a sendoff. Kind of whish I still had it today. Who needs variable speed, my finger on the trigger is just as effective. Plus their jiggsaw and flashlights that came out later were not that bad. But before that I knew the days before drywall screws and how to keep your fingers out of the Yankee - or at least learned how to. Thanks for the memories. Still I like my 14.4v pistol grip DeWalt Hammer Drill. Very used to it probably in being similar to a screw shooter type drill or the old Makita I moved up from. Pistol Grip drills are not the best for everyone however. Very different balance for starters. The drill does not stand up on it’s battery, instead you balance it on it’s trigger literally and you use your middle or ring finger on the trigger.

Given this, I’m glad to see more people’s impute on their tools. I have my magnetic/quick release 1/4" chuck adaptor for my keyless chuck thus don’t need to remove the chuck to swap between bits for woodwork. But still, the fact others attest to Black and Deckers, and Ryobi’s getting better says a lot to improvements made in the last 5 years which helps to keep me fresh on them. They might no longer be the low end gear I had thought they were on my posting before. Granted especially since the chuck on my DeWalt is about ready for it’s 3rd or 4th replacement in about ten years of use. That’s given heavy usage and normally on or rubbing up against steel these days however. At times it’s time to get out the Channel Loc’s to remove the drill bit, at least it’s not slipping at that point. On the other hand, give the new ratcheting chucks a try. Very nice, Hope they come in ½" size when I do replace it. As most hint at, play test well the tools you will buy unless you have the cash to sometimes get good stuff, other times get what won’t work out for you. Plastic gears are common to may tools, and you won’t know until the gear fails. That is if it fails, plastic has come a long way in the past years and can be just as useful as aluminum or steel gears you will also find that also strip out with abuse. Those attesting to their “low end gear” are making a statement that perhaps even the Low End has caught up to the “high ticket” gear while they were sleeping, and the differences might be slight these days. Might be the operative word and something each needs to play test and decide upon. Best tool for your money might be better phrased as best tool for your use of it. Hope it helps.

I am not above correction, please do so we are all in the same boat. My opinions was based upon what I have read in articles about cordless drill battery chargers on the subject but would also tend to think that a slower charge is better for the battery given heat.

At the time I wrote these notes I was not steadily following citing sources but it's direct in quote in any case:

Battery Pack efficiency: 12 v. =1700 mA-h High Endurance. (Bosch Cordless, 1995 Cat. #45920)
Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries are about to hit the open market also, they boast 30% longer run time than normal Nickel Cadium types and less weight.

The higher the Ah rating a battery has the more energy it can store and thus the more work it can do. 2.2 Ah NiMH is better than 2.0 Ni-Cad. 1.3 to 1.5 Ah Nicad batteries are common on low end and older model drills. 1.7 Ah is the standard to most cordless drills designed within the last five years, and 2.0 Ah is common to new drill designs or companies which specialize in or advertise their batteries as much as their drills. - . (American Woodworker 1999 Buyer’s Guide, “Cordless Drills” p 72-79) or
(Wood Magazine, “12 Volt Cordless Drills” Dec. 1999 p.72-77)

Chargers are 1 hour , 15 and 12 minute in charging time. Note: Most Batteries no-longer have memory chips in them, so it is not necessary to “run the charge out of a battery” before charging it, unless the battery is going into storage for a few months without being used. Also the faster the charger the better or more potent the charge the battery will receive. Leaving batteries in a charger is also okay for frequent use purposes, in most cases, it will not hurt the battery, and will receive frequent charges to keep it at its maximum potential. There is also a backpack mounted battery on the market for those who never want to change batteries. Chargers are available in car charger and multi-bay types also. Most modern chargers will also charge any voltage of battery under the same brand name and style. Some chargers are marketed to charge any type or brand of battery, this could simplify things greatly in shops with many different brands and styles of batteries in use in that round pegs will hopefully not be put into square holes by novice carpenters any longer, given they are put in - in the right direction.
Batteries: Ni-Cad, & A-H Hi-Capacity with Power Display (Supposed to have 25% more capacity)

NiMH Batteries: Ever since the 1950s, nickel cadmium (Ni-Cad) cells have been the battery of choice for portable rechargeable applications. And over the years, Ni-Cad cells of the “sub C” size used in power tools have improved to the point where they can store about 2.0 amp hours (Ah) of energy. But only small, incremental improvements will come in the future. Because of this energy-storage limitation, as well as environmental concerns about cadmium, battery makers developed nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) cells about
10 years ago. These batteries can theoretically hold about 40% more energy than NiCads, according to our sources at Energizer Power Systems, a U.S. based manufacturer of MiMH batteries. Our cordless-drill test included one drill with a MiMH battery pack with a 2.2 Ah capacity, but you will see mor NiMH batteries in the future. Several companies have hinted at having 3.0 Ah batteries soon. So why haven’t all manufacturers switched completely to MiMH? In a word, cost. NiMH batteries cost more than Ni-Cads, and manufacturers tell us their research shows that consumers may not be willing to pay significantly more for something as intangible as additional run time. (Almost 50% as much in price) to this end, which would sell better a $45 or $75.00 battery. Of course, with the proliferation of NiMH batteries, prices for them should come down. For example, cellular phones nad laptop computers used to be powered by NiCads, but now nearly all of them run on NiMH or lithiumion batteries. (Don’t expect lithium-ion batteries in cordless power tools any time soon; they store lots of energy, but dispense it in doses too small for power tools.)
(Wood Magazine, “What’s With These New Nickel-Metal Hydride Batteries?” Dec. 1999 p.88)

Temperature and Ni-Cad or Ni-MH Batteries: the batteries are themselves not effected by temperature unless it is in the absolute extremes. They may run a bit sluggish on start-up when cold, but under use should warm up and be fine. In warm conditions, operating and discharging does not effect the battery the biggest challenge for either type of battery is in getting it to accept a full charge when it has been subjected to extreme temperature. Batteries charge best between 45 and 85 degrees to accept a full charge. If it has been in a temperature other than this let it cool down or warm up first. (Also be ware of “Rifle Sweat” problems when a battery or any really cold tool is brought into the warmth, and also the brittle ness of plastic under these conditions. In addition to extreme physical problems, the extreme temperatures of heat can be multiplied by the heat generated by a charging tool or running/working battery, and the tool and battery can suffer from melt-down easier in warm temperatures if dirty, (vents and cooling mechanism clogged, or over-used). Many of the current generation of chargers have thermostats which will prevent charging until the battery is cool enough. Otherwise if it charges outside the range, it will not accept a full charge. (American How To, May 1999 “Expert Answers”by Hal Handy. p.90)

I have a 12 volt black and decker, it works good, we have some other ones in the scene shop, a few Dewalt there good and a gray i think craftsman 12 volt but it dosent stop spinning when you let off the trigger and its so annoying when your trying to screw fast.

The shop I am at now is fairly cordless I think we have two corded drills total. The problem is today we took apart a bunch of hollywood flats so we werent moving that much and it was rather pointless to have cordless drills. The downside is the whole shop is only on one breaker that is in a hard place to get to so only one tool at a time.

Cordless Drills

My shop uses DeWalt 14.4v, but we are about to change over to 18 volt. We switched from Makita in 1998, and these DeWalts have since been beat. We have replaced all the batteries twice, and at this point it will only cost two to three hundred more to just get new ones. After much discussion amongst ourselves, we have decided that we are ready for the heavier ones. The old ones are starting to need more TLC and maintenence (My carpenter usually does maintainence on them annually or if they break he fixes them. He is a good tool mechanic). I am used to the t handle type grip. My biggest complaint about the 14.4vs is that the batts are almost too big for me to get my hand around them to release them from the handle. I am a girl but my hands aren't that small. The 18v, which I own personally, has a different release design and it is not a problem for me. Our cordless system also includes the recip saw and a trim saw, both which work pretty well, considering how much we over- use them.
I do miss the old Makita 6012HD and..the other one with the brake. I own one of those as well, but my 12 year old batteries fianlly wore out. I may replace them someday.

SJM

Will said:
I have used 24 volts, but at this point, get out the corded and the extension cord, unless you're interested in building up your forearms and wrists.

I have this great vision that the voltages will get larger and larger til someday we willl be wheeling around a huge power source to power these tools, attatched with ...an extension cord! :D Sort of like coming full circle.

SJM

It's been a few years, but right about the time that belt fed automatic screw gun adaptors became available to mount of a DeWalt cordless drill so you never had to reach down to put another screw on the tip again, also came out the battery backup back pack. This allowed you to plug in a bunch of batteries into the back pack sufficient that you would never run out of power in a day. Duluth Trading used to sell it though I did not see it tonight any longer available.

What ever the case, just remember that even if you can better grip the battery of a 18v drill, those extra battery cells in the battery pack also add up to extra weight you are trying to hold up and carry around in a work day. I know a lot of people with them new fangled 18 and more volt drills that have this very complaint. 14.4v for me has worked in weight and battery life well over the years even given no matter the voltage of the battery you will still need to replace it every three to four years. This given I believe I'm on my 14th or 16th battery now for the ten year old DeWalt system granted I have the saw, a second cordless drill of a different version, a flash light and right angle drill for the system necessitating at least four batteries if not more to make the system useful.

In any case, the only reason I would go with 18v in my case would be to get the cordless jiggsaw or Sawzall. Since I already have both on a cord, and don't need to do much cutting off a ladder anymore, either with a cord suite me fine otherwise. Hope such thoughts about weight are useful.

DeWalt

to me the DeWalt or Hilti cordless drills are the bes i use my deWalt 18v all the time i use it to drill new holes in steel for toe clips to sscrewing wood or other matterials toghter. and the dewalt is very durriable. so students in a school or profissionals can use it.

Cordless Drills

We might end up really hating the extra weight. But it is something both my boss and the shop have given alot of thought to. Being that I am more management, I don't usually hold a drill for long periods of time. We do use our trim saw and recip saw an awful lot although we do have corded ones. At strike, the more saws the merrier! :)

SJM

dewalt 18v no question

i have a black and decker 9.5 volt and a craftsman with versapak i think also 9, the former ld at school who also works at Sears bought a 19.2 volt combo pack with a drill, a huge flourescent lamp and a saw it is really powerful!

I've used quite a few different guns in various shops and theatres. Most of the 'equipped' shops that I've worked in use DeWalts primarily with a few random Makitas or B&D's that have been left behind over the years. I was really surprised when I went to work at my first commercial scene shop (where you are pretty much expected to bring all of your own tools) to find that there was no clear preference among the carps. While there were probably more guys with DeWalts than other individual brands, there were so many more brands out there and very few of the more experienced guys used DeWalts. I saw a lot of Bosch and Porter Cable guns as well as quite a few Milwaukees and Panasonics...and then there was the one guy with a Hilti. So, I got to use quite a number different brands and models, one of which was a Ridgid, of which I'd had very little experience and had heard next to nothing. I found that I liked the weight and feel of it very, very much, even more than the Hilti; the power and especially the brake were very impressive as well. I was nervous though about buying a brand about which I knew so little, so, in the end I gave myself three options (based mostly on local availability, price, and personal preference), all roughly the same price that I wanted to look into further (all 14.4v), the Ridgid(3/8"), the DeWalt(3/8"), and the Milwaukee(1/2") with the reversible battery. I really thought that I was going to go with the Milwaukee. The DeWalt was the easiest for me to exclude, based simply on the fact that I still work in primarily DeWalt shops and I wanted an easily identifiable gun. After I had pared it down to the two, and was standing in the store I'd pulled out the Milwaukee and was ready to pay, when a nagging feeling came over me. I had added the Ridgid to my list because I could find very little that I disliked about it. I had no problems with the Milwaukee, but I still liked the feeling of the Ridgid in my hand much more, so why was I going to buy the Milwaukee, because I thought that it was a more respected brand? I didn't actually know that it was. I just felt in my gut that the Ridgid was the right gun for me; and to make a long story only slightly longer, I bought the Ridgid and haven't been disappointed. It fits me, the control is great and the battery life is comparable to or better than any of the other guns I've worked with, and it can take a fall too. I'll have to wait and see about long term battery life, but after 8 mos., I've had no issues whatsoever. All around great gun.

Cordless Drills
Welcome to the forum, where are you working - I used to be a Carp here for a few companies also.
Thanks also for the review on the Ridgid and Milwaukee tools, I am yet to play test the Ridgid thus for me at least it’s useful to know about the ergodynamics of their line. What model number was it and given 14.4v I assume it was a T-Handle type? I would assume a 400/1,400 variable speed rating as normal. Something further to study is if they are manufacturing the tool or having someone like Roybi make them for them. Craftsman used to or still has Roybi do this. Roybi makes a lot of other brands of power tool if not Skil another leader in making other people’s products. I know Ridgid and Home Depot are arm and arm just as True Value Hardware and Skil are arm and arm, just can’t remember what I read about the initial Ridgid table saw product launch/partnership with Home Depot. Funny, went to Home Depot looking for a Ridgid pipe wrench - a thing the company is known for in quality and could not find a one, yet they have the power tools. Will have rather’d the pipe wrenches as opposed to something with China as a brand but such is the downgrading of Home Depot’s offerings of late.

Of late, Home Depot for me is seriously going down hill in product offerings and quality in a way Builder’s Square did, than Menards followed once Builder’s was not in competition. Can’t wait for a local Lowes given some quality still on their part. I also question “home brands” in general with the exception of the Ace Hardware brand (Probably made by S&K or Allen) that has every bit the product support as Craftsman. I keep getting these broken ½" drive Huskey socket wrenches used for tightening truss bolts sent to me. We buy Craftsman, but on the road, crew chiefs buy what ever is available. In any case, they break but have a full warranty as normal to most brands of tool. Problem is either that model number which is breaking is discontinued or it’s constantly out of stock - something not unusual at Home Depot anymore in having empty shelves at my local branch. After you wait in line for exchange approval, you can’t exchange something Huskey unless it’s the same thus I have at least three wrenches in the trunk of my car waiting for the moment I can replace them. Can’t decide if it’s discontinued or out of stock, too many empty slots on the shelf. Constant empty slots and things they used to carry but no longer do. Used to have all kinds of Klien tools, now just a few at best and normally locked up.

In any case, I know what you mean about a almost randomness to carps having their own tool preferences. Haitachi along with Panasonic make some darned good tools I would say also. They were designed for the electronics industry in line use but have a definate home with the Carpenters. My largest selling point in figuring out what brand to buy besides at the time I bought into DeWalt it was the only brand on the market with now normal improvements was that given the shop was also DeWalt, or at least this was the main brand used. I bought into this system 10 or 12 years ago when DeWalt was the only one with fresh innovations in quality for a second generation tool after the Makita initial development most copied. In any case, with DeWalt I have found that if I run out of fresh batteries, I am not stuck without power because if nothing else, I could pop a shop 12v battery into my 14.4v drill and go at it if not borrow from any number of sources. Are you finding a lot of shops are sticking to the 12v battery DeWalt drills or have most gone up to 14.4v now? Not a huge amount of carps I expect at this point are using a larger drill than 14.4v - too much weight, or has this changed also? Been going on six years now since I was a Carp thus I don’t know what is the current trends.

DeWalt early on - before the other brands also had lots of other tools I could use the same battery system for before other brands came out with similar products. I have four tools and at one point 10 batteries and five chargers for them. Now I have two batteries and two from the shop intended for my use. When I run out of power, I wander over to the carp/repair area and swipe some more batteries still. This is the advantage using similar brands has. Granted now the 14.4v system is with the exception of the new three speed T-Handle (an excellent tool) not coming out with anything new for 14.4v. No cordless jiggsaw on the market as could be useful, I think 14.4v is on it’s way out in popularity. Too many 18 to 24v home owners out there looking for more power.

For the most part, this sharing of batteries was a major advantage to me in that there was lots of them around and they were easily replaced. Also each battery is stamped with a date meaning within a year if it goes bad, you don’t need a receipt to exchange it for a new one. There was one lot number of battery that had a improved design flaw about it which made them fall apart quickly. Easily replaced. Given how many dealers sell their tool, it’s also an easy replacement. I normally marked both my tool and battery so at the end of the day I could get back my own thus theft was not much an issue. On this issue of warranty, finding a repair shop that will do warranty work on Haitachi, Panasonic, Ridgid and other brands however can be a challenge. You might have to send it in for repair and maintenance if you don’t want to void the warranty.

Milwaukee was just bought out recently. Big question about if the company will remain in it’s high status or if it will become the next DeWalt in the industry. Their corded drills and SawZall is already an industry leader much like DeWalt’s heavy power tools were highly respected at the time Black & Decker bought them out. Defiantly something to watch. I always liked the Milwaukee power tool, had some concerns about reversible battery packs in contacts not in use being exposed to the elements, but they were very nice drills. Especially liked the clip on flash light for them as a major selling feature.

Here is the article if helpful:
By RICK BARRETT
[email protected]
Posted
Posted: Aug. 30, 2004
Milwaukee Electric Tool Corp., a maker of power tools for construction professionals, is being sold to a Hong Kong tool company as part of a package valued at nearly $627 million.

Milwaukee Electric Tool is based in Brookfield and has about 375 employees in the Milwaukee area. For now, at least, the company's Brookfield employment will not be affected by the sale, company officials said Monday.
Previously announced plans to transfer a small number of remaining manufacturing jobs from Brookfield to a Milwaukee Electric Tool plant in Greenwood, Miss., will continue, the company said in a conference call with journalists.
The company will keep its Brookfield headquarters and will continue to focus on product development here, said Dan Perry, Milwaukee Electric Tool president and chief executive officer.
The toolmaker is being sold to Techtronic Industries Co., the Hong Kong maker of Ryobi tools and Homelite garden care products.
The sale includes Milwaukee Electric Tool's sister company, Atlas Copco Electric Tools, a German toolmaker. Both companies are being sold by Atlas Copco AB, of Sweden, which has owned Milwaukee Electric Tool since 1995.
Earlier this year, Atlas Copco AB said it was selling its electric tool business after it had not reached the goal of being No. 1 or No. 2 in its markets, which include competitors such as U.S.-based Black & Decker Corp. and Bosch GmbH of Germany.
The conglomerate said there were limited synergies between electric tools and its other industrial-product businesses.
Techtronic, which makes Craftsman tools for Sears, Roebuck & Co., stands to gain from buying Milwaukee Electric Tool because the Brookfield company is well-positioned in sales of power tools to building contractors and other professional users.
Techtronic wanted the company's distribution network as well as its products, said Bob Freitag, president of Techtronic Industries' North American Hardware Group based in Anderson, S.C.
"It gives us a lot of ammunition to be more competitive," he said.
Techtronic, originally a maker of cordless tools for other companies, bought brands such as Ryobi, Homelite and Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners to increase its profit margin and gain ability to set prices.
Techtronic boosted profit at acquired companies, such as vacuum cleaner-maker Royal Appliance Manufacturing Co., by shifting production to China from higher-wage locations.
Combined, Milwaukee Electric Tool and Atlas Copco Electric Tool had sales of about $700 million last year. Operating profit for the two companies was $49.8 million for 2003, Atlas Copco AB said.
In the mid-1990s, Milwaukee Electric Tool had more than 800 employees in the Milwaukee area, including manufacturing employment. The 80-year-old company makes drills, saws, grinders and other tools and has factories in Mississippi and a plant in Mexico.
Techtronic will assume $86 million in pension liabilities for 3,100 workers, which it will subtract from its payment to Atlas Copco AB.
The pension obligations are payable over 20 years and are tax deductible, Techtronic said.
Bloomberg News contributed to this report.

My thoughts as a random carpenter/tech guy. Since I do community theatre, we don't have a shop (most building either happens at some random location scrounged by the carpenter or TD or actually on the stage) nor do we have any company tools. What this means is that I'm bringing my own stuff over, which means I don't spend any serious money on them, as things have a tendancy to get abused or to wander away.

Personally, I go with the 18V cordless drills. I buy the cheapest reasonable one I can find with dual batteries and find that as long as one battery is charging at all times, I never run out of juice. I'm a big guy, though, I know my wife and smaller people have trouble with the weight on the 18v drills - find something that fits you nicely.

I consider them essentially disposable - it is actually cheaper to buy a new drill then to, for instance, replace the batteries or the charger, assuming you're buying at a home depot or similar. Given how often my chargers take a walk, that's enough for me :) And at 70-80 bucks per, it isn't worth getting bent out of shape over and guarrantees I always have relatively new batteries :twisted:

I expend my tool tracking energy on the expensive stuff - the saws, the socket set, the compressor, the nailgun... the stuff that clears 150 bucks a shot. I've only got so much attention to devote to keeping track o' stuff.

-OG

Im personally all about my DeWalt cordless 14.4 volt. it does the job quite well.

:lol:

peace!

i owned a 16.8v craftsman drill, and i loved it, it fit well in my hand, weighed about right, and was tough as hell, i dropped it from about 15ft. on several occasions, and it kept right on working. It's still at my old high school somewhere.
as for the firestorms with the removable chucks, i don't like them at all, when there off the drill is very unbalanced, and i don't like that at all, i would rather use the craftsman countersink bits, the bit itself actually flips 180, it's easier, and you don't have to hold on to an extra piece.

i have a dewalt which is very good, and it amazing that it manufactored by black and decker, even though it the higher quality. I accidentally went through a metal piece behind some wood in my attic to run a wire through. I didn't realize it until i took a closer look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back