Your worst theatre injury

So far worst injury I have had, has to be the hole saw incident, I had never used one before, My scenic direct handed me a drill motor with a 3" Hole Saw bit on it ans told me to drill some holes in a hollywood flat (to fit some magic door opening sticks through) and after successfully drilling the hole, Random techie behind me yells my name. I twisted around quickly and unfortunately kept the drill running. it met my left thumb, then skipped down cutting a large gash along the hand. It took me a second to realize what happened. 1/2 of my thumbnail came off, and there was a 2" long gash along my hand. Scenic designer was on hand to help clean it up and bandage it. It was the worst injury in the class that year, followed up by a guy stapling his thumb to his leg with a staple gun...

I had a hole saw bite me once. It shredded the skin on one finger. It's my favorite scar that I have, though, so I guess some sort of a positive came out of it...

Here is a pic of my scar, still pretty apparent after a year..

Attachments

• 1448214887044-1892187023.jpg
    1448214887044-1892187023.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 265
Band saw. Working too quickly. Stupid. Pushed a finger straight into the blade. Clean cut, into the finger, into the fingernail. Ten stitches or so. Stopped me from playing the guitar for two months or so, but it healed well. If it had been a cross-cut on the finger, I would be a stubby now.

Was hanging some choir mics on the grid senior year of high school. Was taking to my spotter below and plowed my head into a I beam. Apparently I loss consciousness, because I woke up laying on the grid. Ended up with a concussion. To this day I still do not know how I didn't fall through the grid, or how I managed to climb down after.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

Thanks for all the good stories....Seems like those Makitas have a lot of intimate relationships with people..lol
Thankfully, not a lot of injuries due to my agility and balance.
But on an installation about ten years ago I cut my hand open due to a faulty multitool. So know I only get the best multi tools available.
This was at the beginning of the day so I ran to the bathroom got some paper towels and gave the hell out of my hand.....
Stage hand bandaid

Just had a new one. I was welding up a gangly tree branch out of 3/8" rod. Finished my weld and picked up the branch to reposition it. Got the balance wrong, branch shifted and my still red hot weld landed on my arm. Got a 3" second degree and about an inch of char above that

edit: no I wasn't wearing my leather cause its about 105 degrees in the shop right now.

My Worst injury happened while working on an extension A frame ladder in college Hanging a light, about 15' off the floor, The extension part of the ladder cracked I shifted my weight and over compensated fell to the floor Landing entirely on my wrist and pulverized it. over 60 micro fractures. I still feel it every now an then 20 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back