Your worst theatre injury

My worst theatre injurys include:

1st semester at college my tech director ran a 4x8 platform pit cover into my foot bent my toes back. that was fun......

This year within the last month and a half. I have pneumatically nailed my middle finger on my left hand. The nail went into the skin the flesh part where my fingerprint is. It was not bad enough to go to the er. But three weeks after that I was moving a piece of aluminium pipe the fence posting kind. I sliced that same finger in the same place only a much longer deeper cut. I just got the 4 stitches out last Friday!

Broken ankle due to faulty ladder. the rung on a ladder was faulty, it went and I went down breaking my ankle. I was back to work that night in an air cast..

Worst injury on the job--motorcycle wreck. I was running after a part and hit grease at an intersection(from a restaurant recycle truck). Tore out my ACL... Only Workmans Comp on the books at the university for a motorcycle wreck.....

yea, it was patched into one of our worklight circuits, not in the main board so it wasnt turned off. Turns out it was wired by some freshmen. figures. And after that happened i taped the sh*t outa it and had a little talk w/ the lighting techs.

Last edited:
yea, it was patched into one of our worklight circuits, not in the main board so it wasnt turned off. Turns out it was wired by some freshmen. figures. And after that happened i taped the sh*t outa it and had a little talk w/ the lighting techs.

There is something to be said for having all student generated work in the electrics dept checked by faculty, or a "competent person". I pitty the fool trying to use this inventory after I leave. :twisted: (In all seriousness though, I believe my work to be of acceptable, but not good calibre. It's at least better than the condition I find it in.)

I ran my foot over with a Genie lift. I had to go to the hospital and get x-rays to make sure nothing was broken

Yeah you're girly...genie (the big center wheel) over my foot, as well as a baby grand piano while moving it off the school stage because our retarded chorus is full of women who can't push their d**n instrument.

GOOD ADVICE-- leave your shoe on. the sock acts like a neat little bandage while the blood clots. the only problem is getting your sock off once the red stuff turns brown... Just walk it off like a man

last night I was working and some guy intentionally hit me with a metal pole in the face. blood was gushing everywhere and when I went to ER last night I got four stitches... in hurts really bad and people are trying to make me smile but it hurts really bad to smile

I have not yet received an injury worth reporting, (I'm sure that is a good thing and I hope it keeps up.) But I do have another that is. My mentor was cutting wood for a set piece, and was working with a table saw. I'm not sure the exact specifics, but one minute he's cutting the next he walks outside with a bleeding finger. "I think I need to go to the hospital" This is what he says when he gets out after bleeding all over the place. The end result a couple of screws in his finger. As for the set piece they decided not to use it, but we did keep the blade, it now hangs in the shop as a reminder.

I have not yet received an injury worth reporting, (I'm sure that is a good thing and I hope it keeps up.) But I do have another that is. My mentor was cutting wood for a set piece, and was working with a table saw. I'm not sure the exact specifics, but one minute he's cutting the next he walks outside with a bleeding finger. "I think I need to go to the hospital" This is what he says when he gets out after bleeding all over the place. The end result a couple of screws in his finger. As for the set piece they decided not to use it, but we did keep the blade, it now hangs in the shop as a reminder.
Could've been prevented with this.

last night I was working and some guy intentionally hit me with a metal pole in the face. blood was gushing everywhere and when I went to ER last night I got four stitches... in hurts really bad and people are trying to make me smile but it hurts really bad to smile

Ok I'm intrigued and I have to ask, What's he look like now?

What do I look like or what does the kid look like? maybe I'll post a picture of my lip...
Oh I was talking about the other kid. If someone whacked me across the face with a steel pole on purpose, you could bet they'd wind up looking at least as bad.

Oh I was talking about the other kid. If someone whacked me across the face with a steel pole on purpose, you could bet they'd wind up looking at least as bad.
And locked in the storage closet in the basement for a while to play with the ghosts.

The worst that comes to my mind happened the night before Tech Saturday of our latest show. A few of us were there real late finishing up (actually we pulled an all-nighter). The LD was writing cues so it was dark, but I had a flashlight, so it was no big deal. I was putting up a platform for a small followspot behind the seating (Black box theater). I knelt down in the dark to get under the seating to screw the platform to the seating (not looking where I was kneeling) and I knelt onto a nail sticking out of a stored step unit. It hurt. I swore. But it didn't even leave a decent scar.

Of course, I've also had my fair share of screw bits to the fingers (scar on my thumb from one) and splinters. And then there are the small burns from focusing Fresnels. All in all though, I try to be a pretty safe worker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back