Zero-Throw Casters on Revolve?

SweetBennyFenton

Hey all.

My next show includes a 12' square revolve that will need to take a good deal of weight. It will be powered by stagehands, so I don't need to build in any mechanism to turn it. Because it is square though, I'm thinking of building it with the casters down and using 4 heavy-duty zero throw casters in the corners. Does anyone have experience with these casters under a revolve? Am I making a huge mistake?

Simple picture to hopefully clarify:

Arsonist Experiment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably still build it casters down with straight casters on a radius from your pivot point. I'd be afraid of a 12' span only supported by a tri-swivel in each corner.

I fell like they might add noise - if that is a factor. Regular fixed casters would work as well. Its not like in your diagram there is more weight on the corners - less actually than each of the central 16 casters.

I'm reminded of the line in Jaws: "You're going to need a bigger boat". I think you're going to need more casters overall, especially since you say there will be a heavy load. Why are you thinking you need zero-throw? You could still put straight casters on the tangent of a circle at that radius.

As I read the sketch, 4 shown in corners plus two rings of 8 - 20 casters overall supporting 144 Sq ft or 7+ sq ft a caster. Seems like too many to me but depends on rating of casters I suppose. Also framing. If height is not over riding I'd be in favor of deeper framing and larger spans for less noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back