ZIpstrip wattage usage?

Picked up a new Harbor Freight multimeter capable of 20a DC yesterday. Figured since relative measurements vs actual numbers mattered most here, not a lot of sense spending a lot an a meter I'll most likely trash in short order. My last "good" meter lasted 2 yrs before needing internal soldering, and it's never read right since. I also tested with an Ideal meter(10a max) I found in the trash. got similar results with both

I pulled (2) random unmarked lamps today and did some testing. Removed lamps read ~5.5amps. New(75w) lamps drew 6.5 amps. Calculations how old lamps to be 65-70w and new lamps to be new (75w) lamp to be ~78w.

Options we've come up with is to pull:
(1) replace (1)row at a time(120 lamps) to preserve lumen level, and reduce confusion over what lamp to use,

(2) replace 40 lamps at a time, 21 color x1 row, and increase confusion

(3) replace all 360 lamps at a decent cost(when they're looking into an upgrade and these are my first LED replacement(knowledge base is limited so a complete dmx/rgb solution isn't (to my knowledge) a practical solution). I've been introducing DMX controlled fixtures but their mentality is still in the submaster(/channel)/dimmer mentality.

(4) ignore the problem, I can train people in lamp replacement, as replace as needed. End result will be a changeover to the higher wattage lamps, over a span of time.

I've been told, they will do whatever I advise. I honestly don't now what to say. I've told them to wait a week. If we blow 2-3 lamps, then I would say option 1 is the way to go. If not, go with option 4.

They have already applied for a grant to replace the lighting fixture and been declined as they are "removable". They are in talks with an architect towards a lighting upgrade. As I said(in previous quote response), the #1 fixture I'd like to be DMX/RGB is these zipstrips, as we're already using them for what amounts to RGB. little learning curve there. I'd also like to have the zipstrips available for footlights so double bonus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back