zoomable gobo

For a Steel Gobo, how about a 10 or 5 degree S4?

that is the right fixture, but the wrong lens tube (at least in the picture). It is really going to be dependent on what your gobo is.

Can you tell us more about the application? What precisely are you trying to project? glass gobo? A printed gobo? A Steel custom cut gobo?

Last edited:
A 5 degree fixture will give you a 5' diameter circle at 60'. A 10 degree will give you a 7' circle at 40'. You really need to figure out if it is 60' or 40'. If you have hard numbers, any gobo company (Apollo, Rosco) will be able to help you out and get/tell you what you need. How far off axis also makes a huge differance but that can be compensated for.

steel gobo. I use a martin mania pr-1 and have used it 10 times or so. usually help with a few fundraisers and this one need a logo for an event and wont know until the day of the exact distance but I can plan for the maximum distance so say 60'. What othere parts do i need to add a gobo to the s4 light? Are there zoomable versions?
Also just use steel custom plates for the martin mania pr1

steel gobo. I use a martin mania pr-1 and have used it 10 times or so. usually help with a few fundraisers and this one need a logo for an event and wont know until the day of the exact distance but I can plan for the maximum distance so say 60'. What othere parts do i need to add a gobo to the s4 light? Are there zoomable versions?
Also just use steel custom plates for the martin mania pr1
You can plan for 60', 40', or some where in between, but whatever distance you plan, THAT'S THE DISTANCE YOU HAVE TO USE.
Sorry for the caps, that's there to highlight the importance. As already pointed out, one type works better for one distance, the other for the other distance. (If it were me, i would find out the exact distance as far in advance as possible, and let the planners know that if it's not how they originally told me, I can't guarantee results.)

Source 4's are simple ERS (Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight) fixtures, they'll probably come in two pieces, a body and a lens tube; the lens tube is the important part.
To hold a steel gobo in, you just need a simple gobo holder (like this City Theatrical one).
The other important thing is to know which size gobo you have, A or B, as they'll take different holders.

Are there zoomable versions?

To answer your question, there are 15-30 and 25-50 degree source four zooms, but a 15-30 wouldn't work for a 60' throw application and probably wouldn't work for a 40' application. If cost is a significant factor, I would try to stay away from the 5 degree, as it runs somewhere in the $500-$600 range.

To answer your question, there are 15-30 and 25-50 degree source four zooms, but a 15-30 wouldn't work for a 60' throw application and probably wouldn't work for a 40' application. If cost is a significant factor, I would try to stay away from the 5 degree, as it runs somewhere in the $500-$600 range.
a rental shouldn;t be that much...

(or is it? never actually had to deal with renting a single 5*)

a rental shouldn't be that much ...
Many lighting rental shops charge a 150% rate for 5° and 10° ERSs. I'd expect to pay not more than $30 per day anywhere in the US (from a lighting shop; from the A/V dept. in a convention center or hotel, as much as $100/day). Most shops will also rent an additional lens-tube-only for half the normal rate of a complete fixture.

As to which fixture and how to size the gobo, see this Excel spreadsheet from ETC: Source Four Gobo Mag Calculator.zip.

With any given fixture (lens), there are three variables:
1) the size of desired image,
2) the throw distance,
3) and the size of the actual gobo.
Two of the three MUST be known in order to accurately calculate the third.

Best would be to know #1 and #2, then determine the most appropriate fixture (lens), and adjust the size of #3 to suit when the custom gobo is made.
A more-costly (almost double) alternative is to plan for a 5° at the maximum estimated distance, and a 10° at the minimum distance, and have two gobos made (the image of one will be smaller than the other). Then once onsite you will have four options, though none may be perfect.

As said above, your custom gobo manufacturer (Hint: Apollo is regarded as one of the best) can help in achieving your desired results. If the projection surface is not perpendicular to the projector, the gobo will need to be made with keystone correction else it will appear distorted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back