The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

insert cable

An insert cable is a type of Y-shaped audio cable that has a 1/4" TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connector at one end , and two 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve) connectors on the two other ends. The tip of the TRS connector is wired to the tip of one of the Y-ends, and the ring of the TRS connector to the tip of the other TS connector. The sleeve of all three connectors is tied together.
Alternatively, if the outboard gear uses XLRs, see Making a custom insert Cable.pdf.

Insert cables are used to place a piece of signal processing equipment, such as a compressor, in-line with a channel on a sound console (literally, one "inserts" the gear into the channel).

From this thread:
Consoles using the above scheme are known referred to as having "single-point inserts." More expensive desks use XLRs for ins and outs, allowing for a balanced signal throughout the chain.

This page has been seen 2,473 times.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice