Building a fly system!!?

Head send me your e-mail address in a P.M. I called my friend Peter Maurelli sales guy at Barbizon in Denver (shameless plug ;)). He knows lots of technicians in your area. Peter said if I send him your e-mail he would help try to get you in touch with someone who can help. Hopefully we can talk someone who knows what they are doing into coming into your theater, meeting with your teacher, and saying that this is terribly dangerous and should be taken down.

Praise Allah, this is the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.

Sorry gang, it has been a slammed year at work...I haven't gone away permanently, but someday i'll get a chance to breathe again and chime in here.

Anyhoo...as usual, all the good answers have already been given. Yes, I'd like to destroy that 'system' with my teeth. Or a flamethrower, whichever's clever.

I might encourage this- here's the ETCP listings for Colorado, under rigging.
ETCP - The Entertainment Technician Certification Program

Good luck! Rig right or die! Seriously.

And holler at me if you need more help.

I'm hopeful that my guy at Barbizon can help us contact someone in the area to stop by the school. I'll keep you guys informed. I've got Head's e-mail address... although I think I need his name and school name as well so I'm not writing this message, "Hi, I know a student named Headcrab in Colorado who needs help." Yeah. Anyone named Headcrab needs help.

I was saving my " Letter to Headcrabs Principal" unitl I heard back on your contact Gaff. But now that you mention it, "Dear Headcrabs Principal...." Doesn't sound like such a great pre-amble.

Unfortunately it is a seven hour drive from SLC to Fort Collins, so I can't help there. Hopefully Peter will come though, he's a good guy. Other than that, I think the important bases have been covered.

YEAH ! I'm dancing for you Headcrab!

Hallelujah!

Good... so we won't be reading about your school in the news (because of an accident).

Out of curiosity... Headcrab, who all actually talked to them?

That's great news Head!!

Now can you do something about that kid flying the hot air balloon around your town? Is there something in the water there making people go crazy?

That's great news Head!!

Now can you do something about that kid flying the hot air balloon around your town? Is there something in the water there making people go crazy?

I thought that might have been the kid that came up with the Build your own fly-system in the first place. Then I realized the kid was only six, then I realized that, developementaly, that's how old one needs to be to come up with that idea anyway.

Stoked for Headcrab!

Balloon boy shoulda hired me- I coulda done it on wire rope.

If all else fails call you local fire department for an inspection and voice your concerns to them. They can shut down an unsafe theater in five minutes. But first go through school administration, and work with them to get the proper equipment installed correctly.

Good for you that you are on top of this. Get someone in Admin who is responcible for liability insurance involved. You have a reputable compay that has done work in Fort Collins on the Poudre High School and you could ask that they give a safety consult:
Geiler & Associates, LLC, 12355 E. CORNELL AVE · AURORA, COLORADO 80014
HOME OFFICE: (303) 766-7100 · FAX: (303) 766-7104
COLORADO SPRINGS: (719) 635-6600
MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL: (612) 529-7100
EMAIL: [email protected]

As was explained earlier in the thread, the fire marshal wasn't concerned with the 'rig.' Their main priority is making sure it won't start or spread a fire, and making sure everyone can get out if it does.

Yes but if they are doing dodgy rigging, chances are there will be a variety of other things the place could get shut down for...

Yes but if they are doing dodgy rigging, chances are there will be a variety of other things the place could get shut down for...
Chris, one of the earlier posts was:
They told me today that it was approved by the fire department. :evil: That still doesn't make it safe...
So I think the point Clifford was making in response to Adam's post was that apparently the Fire Marshal had already inspected the facility. By making it an issue to the Fire Marshal after they had already inspected it you might be perceived as questioning them and that probably wouldn't help.

My thought had been that the fire inspection cleared this "rigging" but we don't know what, if anything, else was inspected. Or does an inspection *always* cover *everything* when your government departments come out? (Ours leave something to be desired nearly all the time...)

So the exit widths may be wrong, inadequate provision of emergency lighting, yada yada yada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back