"Building" backdrops

SanTai

I have got dragged into helping out at an amateur theatre production and have some questions.

We need to create backdrops that will be painted as part of the scenery. The problem is that cloth we've got is quite rigid and heavy and of course not as wide as the stage. Earlier the same organization have created these backdrops by sewing on the back of the drop. This creates very visible marks along the length of the backdrop from the fold along the seam. We were discussing glueing the cloth together instead of sewing it to get it to lay flat.

How is this normally done?
Any tips?
What is a painted backdrop called in English? Maybe there are thousands of threads about this already, I am only missing the right word to search for.
Spreading it on a frame will not be practically possible, is having a pipe in the bottom of the backdrop a good idea to get it flat?

Carpentry and props are not my department. It is going be fun to get the chance to learn something new!

I have got dragged into helping out at an amateur theatre production and have some questions.
What is a painted backdrop called in English?

They are called . . . Painted (stage) Backdrops or sometimes Drops. There are several ways to make them but if you need a cheap way, there are companies that make printed vinyl billboards or outdoor signs. We had some donated that were 18 ft tall by 45 - 60 feet wide. the unprinted side is usually white or black. Regular latex paint will stick for the show. They also make good drop cloths to cover the stage during a set build. Add ties on the top and you do not need a chain pocket on the bottom.

Otherwise use seamless muslin with a tie hem on the top and a chain pocket on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back