Control/Dimming CD80 from (I think) the 90s, needing some help programming. Possibly DMX help.

lighting3900

Hello Controlbooth! First post- and I appreciate so much the support of the community on getting me as far as I have.

I am working on getting lighting restored in a 100 year old school auditorium. We have a Strand Lighting CD80 which does seem to function properly.
Above it, is a strangely assembled OUTLOOK station, with a DMX port and a 8 button 'remote preset' panel.
I am guessing this is from the mid 90s.

If I were a betting man, I'd imagine there is or 'was' a Master Panel for the outlook station hidden somewhere in the auditorium, OR existed at one point and no longer does.

I have tried through the main CD80 console to reprogram these Outlook panel buttons, but in doing so--- none of them seem to work.

--- Do Outlook stations all have a Master Panel? Is it possible ours never did?

--- Has anyone experience in setting up the presets on this outlook? The common logic didn't work, but I'm wondering if I have to set the CD80 system to let the Outlook 'do the control'. --Input-- appears to be a choice in a lot of the menus.

-- Does the DMX port of an outlook station override the CD80s base port of such? If I try to interface into it via QLC+, would it be address 1 or is there a strange address setting.

Thanks a million times over for any thoughts. Our building has changed hands a lot so documentation is few and far between.

proxy.php

This is what the unit looks like under the big breakers.

Can you take pictures of the outlook station?

It's a gray box all the way around--- appears to be no other inputs or outputs and it seems wired from the bottom--- I assume into the Controller (Supervisor?)

Attachments

• outlook.png
    outlook.png
    735.6 KB · Views: 38
Ok my suggestion is plug a DMX controller into that jack and see if it will do anything.
The jack on front of supervisor is not DMX but manuals online sy they are DMX compatible dimming systems.

Those appear to be the old Strand vision.net remotes. We have a vision.net system in our theatre from the early 2000's. There is touch screen panel located backstage. We have a supervisor password that has to be entered to make changes. From that point, you just use a lighting controller to set the look you want, then press and hold the button you want to record. Vision.net will record the current DMX values to that preset button. There are several manuals floating around the web for this system. You may want to find one & then experiment. Hopefully no one set up a password on your system. Good Luck.

Hello Controlbooth! First post- and I appreciate so much the support of the community on getting me as far as I have.

I am working on getting lighting restored in a 100 year old school auditorium. We have a Strand Lighting CD80 which does seem to function properly.
Above it, is a strangely assembled OUTLOOK station, with a DMX port and a 8 button 'remote preset' panel.
I am guessing this is from the mid 90s.

If I were a betting man, I'd imagine there is or 'was' a Master Panel for the outlook station hidden somewhere in the auditorium, OR existed at one point and no longer does.

I have tried through the main CD80 console to reprogram these Outlook panel buttons, but in doing so--- none of them seem to work.

--- Do Outlook stations all have a Master Panel? Is it possible ours never did?

--- Has anyone experience in setting up the presets on this outlook? The common logic didn't work, but I'm wondering if I have to set the CD80 system to let the Outlook 'do the control'. --Input-- appears to be a choice in a lot of the menus.

-- Does the DMX port of an outlook station override the CD80s base port of such? If I try to interface into it via QLC+, would it be address 1 or is there a strange address setting.

Thanks a million times over for any thoughts. Our building has changed hands a lot so documentation is few and far between.
this is a CD 80sv processor
the top cover suggests it is a retrofit kit for the original CD 80 rack

the stations are Outlook (not vision net), Vision net came later and was first call Outlook VN.
to record presets for Outlook you need a Master Station
you can also program from the front panel
attached is the CD 80sv manual as well as Outlook programing (see pg 59 CD 80sv manual)
any other questions send me an e mail
[email protected]

Attachments

• CD80SV.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • OutlookProgramming.pdf
    295.3 KB · Views: 25
I will try to answer the questions to the best of my recollection as I dealt with these systems long ago. First, there are CD80 Supervisor manuals online that go through pretty much of what is discussed here.
f I were a betting man, I'd imagine there is or 'was' a Master Panel for the outlook station hidden somewhere in the auditorium, OR existed at one point and no longer does.
There were different styles of stations, some with faders but I don't recollect a 'master station'.
have tried through the main CD80 console to reprogram these Outlook panel buttons, but in doing so--- none of them seem to work.
As was mentioned, sometimes you could set up a look on the console and then hold the button down on the preset station. This feature could be disabled at the station and with some systems the only way to record preset looks was at the menu on the dimmer rack.
Has anyone experience in setting up the presets on this outlook? The common logic didn't work, but I'm wondering if I have to set the CD80 system to let the Outlook 'do the control'. --Input-- appears to be a choice in a lot of the menus.
The normal operation is HTP.
Does the DMX port of an outlook station override the CD80s base port of such? If I try to interface into it via QLC+, would it be address 1 or is there a strange address setting.
Any DMX input ports go to the rack. There are only two and I believe DMX 'A' usually goes to the main console in the booth and DMX 'B' can get looped to other inputs around the auditorium.

There were different styles of stations, some with faders but I don't recollect a 'master station'.
Upon thinking about this more, there may have been a system that had a station that was identified as a 'Master Station". It was there because it could switch control between two rooms. It was not something very common.

t2ec16n-yge9s7hhqhobr9ju-oc7q-60_12-jpg.9898

I've seen a LOT of mentions and pictures of a Panel that looks like this.... but I don't appear to have one. There's a chance it did at one point exist, or it's hidden away where I can't find it. Still will be searching.
There's a lot of helpful info here--- It appears SWC may be what I'm looking for over "Outlook" on the main board panel menu itself... unsure, still searching. Full time teaching, so I don't get to make it to the Auditorium all too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back