ChamSys MagicQ resembles WholehogII?

Its all a response to pixel mapping. This is the only time that I can see not putting the fixture into the highest number of control channels possible. Used to be you knocked down to 8-bit to save addresses or control channels. Now that any modern automated lighting console (HogIII, GrandMA, Chamsys...) can expand control channels easily its not as big as an issue as it was before. I think its great that you can pixel match the LED's, but as with most things its going to get thrown in the best application mode when it leaves the shop and never touched again.

The days of building your own profiles are over. You can't do it with the HogIII. Chamsys will let you, but its at your own risk. One day.... it will all just work.... one day....

Is it me, or does the Chamsys MagicQ Pro really resemble a Whole Hog 2, or is it just me? I had never heard of that console before, so I am not 100% informed on the background of the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what you mean.

MagicQ is RED:
proxy.php

Product Of The Month: ChamSys MagicQ MQ100 Pro Console

WholehogII is BLUE:
proxy.php

High End Wholehog 2 Plus RFU - UsedLighting.com

Worlds apart.;)

Source code is completely different... but programming is very similar. In fact, they tout it as an easy transition from HogII to magicQ. The software is as powerful as HogIII in my personal opinion. The console is essentially a British version of the Hog operating line. The design is similar... but no patents were infringed on.

Before anyone goes off about this saying they copied it.... lets all just take a step back...

ETC copied Strand with the Obsession and Obsession II.
Strand copied ETC with the Genius Software.
Apple and Microsoft both copied Xerox with Windows and Mac OS.

Nothing is original.

Apple and Microsoft both copied Xerox with Windows and Mac OS.

To clarify, Apple bought NextStep 3.X and relabeled it Mac OS, borrowing the TCP/IP stack coding from NetBSD (like Microsoft did for Windows NT). All they took from Xerox was the WIMP graphical user environment, which Microsoft then took from Apple. But it didn't really matter, GUIs were already pretty popular by then thanks to Apple's theft.

Still not much originality though.

If I recall correctly, Chamsys was founded by some former Flying Pig/ WHII developers. It stands to reason that they will be similar in function, since they share the same decision calculus.

The hardware designer for the MagicQ George McDuff is the very same chap that designed the board for hog 2 and the front panel for the Hog3!

Hope that clears it up!

MagicQ its the way forward!!! :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back