Concealing a Speaker in a Vinyl Record player

SydneyTM

Hi all, first time poster long time listener.

I was hoping someone might have some advise on the best way to conceal a small speaker in a record player.

This is an element that will be on wheels so it has to be wireless.
So I already know I'm going to have to use batteries and an in ears receiver.

Just wondering is there's a 'go to' product that people generally use for the speaker element that's battery powered.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

When we wanted to do this sort of thing we used a small battery powered accessory speaker from Amazon which was a Bluetooth speaker with an additional "aux-in" 3.5mm plug cable, which was intended to be plugged into the headphone jack of a phone. We connected that to an IEM receiver and it worked really well.

Edit: something like this speaker might fit the bill to plug into the IEM receiver.

Last edited:
Does it have to be in the rolling cart? I did this for a Victrola in a play a while back, ended up just placing a speaker behind a set piece in the vicinity of the phonograph, and using the 30 foot rule nobody could tell that the sound was not coming from the device.

Hi all, first time poster long time listener.

I was hoping someone might have some advise on the best way to conceal a small speaker in a record player.

This is an element that will be on wheels so it has to be wireless.
So I already know I'm going to have to use batteries and an in ears receiver.

Just wondering is there's a 'go to' product that people generally use for the speaker element that's battery powered.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
When you say "record Player"...?
I can think of a couple hundred ways but it really depends on what type and how it's presented. Several of the record players I had as a child <Yeah, old> had built in speakers one portable unit was actually stereo, one was kind of like a Victrola. Any info on what kind?

Does it have to be in the rolling cart? I did this for a Victrola in a play a while back, ended up just placing a speaker behind a set piece in the vicinity of the phonograph, and using the 30 foot rule nobody could tell that the sound was not coming from the device.
This is without a doubt the easiest way.

I'm afraid our theatre is incredibly small and an odd shape so the origin of the sound is quite important. I think i'll just gut the player and put a small battery operated speaker inside and feed signal from an IEM.

Thankyou for your help everyone.

We did this for Drowsy a few years back. I have one of those Crosley record players and it had an aux in. But I agree, it really depends on the unit and what's in it. It shouldn't be too difficult to tie into whatever amplifier is built in if it has one, provided you can modify the piece.

I'm big on the component amps you can get on Amazon and connect to something small like a Bose cube, or JBL Control 23. They're of varying sizes and power outages and all powerable via some battery operated unit.
Personally I stray away portable bluetooth speakers because 1. they're visible to anyone with an iPhone who could potentially take over your soundsource and 2. They make a god awful loud sound when powering on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back