Determining if a Pin Connector Complies with ANSI E1.24

STEVETERRY

Recently, I have been asked how to determine if a Listed stage pin connector complies with the ANSI/ESTA E1.24 standard for pin connector dimensions and configuration. Recall that compliance with this standard insures that connectors from different manufacturers can be safely mated.

The UL 498 Standard under which these connectors are listed contains the following marking requirement on the connector body for stage plugs complying with ANSI/ESTA E1.24 dimensional requirements :

"ANSI E1.24" configuration and "type" where
"type" is as identified in Annex A of ANSI
E1.24, or an equivalent wording.

So there you have it--if the connector is marked as above, it's compliant. If it's not, it's not.

ST

Do you know if UL checks the dimensions themselves?
I'm just cynical enough to recall that some manufacturers are more _____________ than others. (insert term to suit your mood)

Yes, UL evaluates dimensions in the type of re-examination we are talking about. They don't take the manufacturer's assertion of dimensional compliance as fact.

ST

Yes, UL evaluates dimensions in the type of re-examination we are talking about. They don't take the manufacturer's assertion of dimensional compliance as fact.

ST

What he said. I have a friend who is a UL inspector. His job is to travel to factories and verify everything meets spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back